Graduate and Professional School
How is graduate school different from undergraduate education?
Compared to undergraduate studies, graduate school is a more concentrated course of study and expectations regarding the quality and quantity of your academic work are greater. Graduate programs also entail:
- Focused studies in a specific discipline with fewer elective possibilities
- Rigorous evaluation of your work by professors and peers
- Smaller classes with much student interaction
- Work experience via internships, teaching, or research
- Production of original research is often required
What gradute degrees are avaialble?
- Specialist degrees are usually earned in addition to a master's degree and will require additional coursework, training, or internship experience. This type of degree usually prepares students for professional certification or licensing requirements (e.g., Ed.S. for school principal or credential for becoming a teacher).
Why go to graduate school?
- Lets you pursue more indepth study
- You get to study with experts in the field
- Expand your critical thinking skills
- Can help you be more competitive in the work force
- May lead to higher pay
Choosing a school
Applying to graduate school
Graduate School Abroad
Graduate Degree Funding Resources
Graduate School Assistance
- Schedule an appt. with a Career Adviser to discuss graduate school options – Call 707-826-3341 or stop in GH114 to schedule an appointment.
- Our office highly reccomends the book: Graduate Admissions Essays by Donald Asher. It is available in our ACAC Library and at the reserve desk in the HSU Library
- Academic Information and Referral - Provides some CSU and UC catalogs; also some California private college and out-of-state catalogs.
- Testing Center - Test application materials such as: GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, MAT
- Office of Graduate Studies - Provides information on HSU Graduate Programs and potential research opportunities.
- Learning Center - Offers workshops on test taking strategies, particularly GRE preparation.
- HSU Library - Offers directories of graduate programs by discipline areas (ask for help at the reference desk to find these) Links on the Library’s Web page to graduate school information (includes catalogs on line).
- HSU Bookstore - You can purchase a booklet “Guide for Prospective Graduate Students,” published by the Council of Graduate Schools.