This guide contains information about new policies affecting how to register, new classes, important dates and deadlines for advising, registration, and much more. Fall semester class registration begins in April. Spring semester class registration begins in November.
Advisor / Advisee Relationship:
• Demonstrate a genuine interest in who you are as a person and what you hope
to gain from your time here at HSU.
• Assist you in choosing a major consistent with your abilities and interests.
• Help you define and develop realistic goals.
• Encourage and support development of the skills necessary to attain your
• Guide you in making responsible decisions while developing your
• Teach you about major, general education and all university requirements for
your degree program, utilizing DARS and DARS Degree Planner, HSU catalog,
major academic plans (MAPs), and other tools.
• Match your needs with available resources and explain strategies for using them.
• Assist in identifying university resources for finding opportunities for work,
community service, and volunteer experiences.
• Collaborate with campus support services, faculty, and staff to facilitate your
• Provide accurate and timely information on HSU academic policies and
procedures for students.
• Monitor your progress towards degree and identified goals.
• Explain how classroom experience is applicable to professional skills needed in
• Be accessible during office hours, by telephone, or e-mail for advising.
• Maintain confidentiality pursuant to the Family Education Rights and
Privacy Act (FERPA).
• Help you understand the benefits of life-long learning