Public Records Requests

What is a public record?

Many records of Humboldt State University are available for public inspection under the California Public Records Act (Gov. Code section 6250 et seq.).

The records may be any writing, paper, report, study, map, photograph, book, card, tape recording, or other material that is created, retained, maintained, or filed by or with a public agency and must contain information relating to the conduct of the public's business.

This includes any record generated on paper, paper substitutes, photographic media, magnetic or machine readable media, or any other material, regardless of form or characteristics, including e-mail, voice-mail, databases, instant messaging and text messages.

Certain records are exempt from public disclosure under the California Public Records Act (See e.g., Gov. Code section 6254 et seq.). HSU may redact purely personal and private information from public records. The Public Records Act also does not require HSU to create documents that do not already exist.

How is a public records request made?

We prefer that all requests are made in writing and via e-mail. If you are unable to write, please contact us by telephone or in person and we will assist you with this task. Your request should include the following information:

  1. Contact information – your name, mailing address and telephone number. Feel free to include any other information you may feel to be useful, such as your e-mail, fax or cell phone number.
  2. A description of the specific records being requested. The request must be specific enough for the university to be able to identify the records being requested.
  3. Please let us know if you woudllike copies of the records or if you would like to come to our office to review them.

Only the Public Record Request Coordinator is authorized to receive, grant, or deny any request for records under the Public Records Act. If a Humboldt University or Auxiliary employee receives a request, it must be promptly forwarded.

Are public records requests confidential?

No, public records requests are not confidential records. The request is itself a public record. It can be requested by others and the office forwards public records requests to the departments holding records and to third parties who have an interest in the records that were requested.

How much does it cost to obtain public records?

Free to view and twenty cents a page for copies.

Requestors will be notified in advance of any non-standard charges.  These shall not exceed the amount necessary to reimburse the agency.

Where is the Public Records Request Office Located and How Can it be Contacted?

The Public Records Request Office is located at: Humboldt State University, 1 Harpst St, Student Business Services Building, Room 343, Arcata, CA 95521.

  • Mail: Send to the above address
  • E-Mail: Send to:
  • In-Person: Visit the above address


Additional information for Humboldt State University and Auxiliary Employees (Humboldt State University Login Required).