Humboldt State University

Office of Admissions

Applying to HSU

Apply Online

Returning to Humboldt

We are glad that you are interested in returning to HSU. If you were out on an approved Educational Leave (page 46) and complied with the terms listed in your Leave Request, you do not need to reapply to HSU. Contact the Office of the Registrar at 707-826-4101 or with any questions. If you have been away from the university longer than the terms of your approved Educational Leave (see page 46 for details) or if you never submitted an Educational Leave Request, you will need to reapply to the university by submitting an application at

On the first page of the online application, fill in the appropriate number of units for the Entry Status, the last semester you attended HSU, and the year you last applied to HSU. Please also indicate on your application any school attended during your absence from Humboldt and request a transcript from that school be sent to HSU as soon as possible.

Please note, the following admission requirements must be met in order to reapply to HSU:

  1. You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 in any college coursework taken after leaving HSU.
  2. You must be in good standing at your last institution of attendance if other than HSU.
  3. If you were discontinued from HSU for not completing remediation, you must complete approved remedial coursework at another institution to be eligible to return to HSU. See the Office of the Registrar for more information.
  4. If you are applying to an Impacted major (number 6), you will need to meet the additional criteria to be eligible. If you do not have the required coursework, you will need to return to HSU in a non-impacted major, take the appropriate courses, and then Petition the department to change majors.

If you were academically disqualified, please review the Petition Guidelines. This document lists important deadlines for submitting the application and petition, and it offers useful advice on how to write a strong petition.

If you have earned over 90 semester units, you must reapply to the same major you previously pursued at Humboldt State. Students are not permitted to change majors after they have earned over 90 units, unless the new major can be completed in less than 140 units - see the Office of the Registrar for more information. In order to pursue a major change, you must submit an approved Senior Major Change request.

If you were a student involved with the Educational Opportunity Program at HSU, please contact the EOP Admissions Office at 707-826-3778 to inform them of your intent to return. They will be able to help you with the process.

Once you have applied to HSU, please log into myHumboldt then visit your Student Center. There, you will find any outstanding requirements from your previous attendance or for your new application. Please check your Student Center and your email regularly for updates and reminders regarding your application.


Spring semester: Applications will be open from August 1 to August 31.
Fall semester: Applications will be open from October 1 to October 31.