Humboldt State University

Skip to secondary navigation
Skip navigation

Department Name

National Student Exchange

National Student Exchange


The following policies are not intended to be the complete set of policies, procedures, rules and regulations for participation in the National Student Exchange. The official policies are found in the current NSE Directory of Exchange Opportunities and should be carefully and completely explored prior to applying for exchange participation. There may be additional policies at both your home and host campuses that will further govern your exchange. Talk to your home campus NSE coordinator for additional information.

Can Exchange Be To Any College Or University?

Students may exchange only to and from campuses that are members of the National Student Exchange. (See list of NSE member campuses) Exchange to other campuses within the CSU system is not permitted though the NSE program, but is allowed through the Intrasystem Vistor Program.

What Are The Eligibility Requirements?

NSE participation is a privilege, not a right. While the home campus NSE coordinator will make the final determination regarding your eligibility, listed below are the minimal requirements for NSE participation. See the NSE Directory of Exchange Opportunities for additional information.

Students must be full-time students at the home campus both at the time of application and in the term prior to exchange. Students must be in good standing financially, socially and academically on the home campus with a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale at the time of application and at the conclusion of the term prior to going on exchange. Students must meet any other qualifications determined by the home campuses. Students are expected to comply with any additional academic requirements or regulations specified by the host campus such as a higher GPA for a specific program of study as published in the NSE Directory. Students must be enrolled as full-time students while on exchange.

What Will It Cost?

Each NSE member campus determines which of the following fee payment plans it will use. Under Plan B students pay their normal tuition and fees to their home campus. Under Plan A students pay the in-state (resident) tuition and fees at their host campus. Room and meals are always paid at the host campus. Also paid to the host campus, regardless of the tuition payment plan, are fees that are assessed as a condition of enrollment (e.g., laboratory, general service, computer, technology, art and photography supplies, etc.). You will also be responsible for transportation, personal expenses, and sightseeing opportunities while on exchange.

Can I Access Federally-Funded Financial Aid?

Generally speaking, federal financial aid is applied for, awarded by, and disbursed from the campus at which you pay your tuition and fees for exchange. You should complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form for federal financial aid by February 15. List on the form the campus code of any college or university where there is the possibility to be accepted on Plan A as well as the code for your home campus. Students exchanging to and from NSE's partners in Canada, apply for financial aid on their home campus.

As an exception to the general policy stated above, some member universities fund their own outgoing Plan A students. If you are enrolled at one of the universities below and will be exchanging on Plan A, your financial aid is applied for, awarded by, and disbursed from your home university. If you are enrolled at one of these universities, discuss financial aid with your NSE coordinator and your financial aid advisor to verify that your campus is still funding outgoing Plan A students. If that is the case, do NOT apply for financial aid to your host university or you may place yourself in an over-award situation which will result in your paying back the amount awarded to you by your host campus.

Campuses Funding Their Outgoing Plan A students:

  • Eastern Oregon University
  • Iowa State University
  • Kansas State University
  • Missouri State University
  • Stony Brook University
  • SUNY College at Buffalo
  • SUNY College at Potsdam
  • The College of New Jersey
  • University of Alaska Anchorage
  • University of Idaho
  • University of Memphis
  • University of North Texas
  • University of Puerto Rico, Cayey
  • University of Southern Maine
  • University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Can I Use Other Financial Aid Resources?

If you are receiving private, state-based or institutional-based grants, scholarships, or fee remission for tuition, housing and/or meals, check with your NSE coordinator and home campus financial aid officer to determine use of such aid for exchange under Plan A or Plan B. Some forms of aid may be portable to your host institution while others may not. Also note that host NSE campuses do not award institutionally-based scholarships, grants or fee remissions to incoming exchange students.

What About Courses And Grades?

Your home campus determines the manner in which your host campus grades are recorded and courses are distributed. You should consult with your academic advisor regarding course selection prior to going on exchange and preferably during the time you are exploring possible host campuses.

What Is The Length Of Exchange?

Exchanges may be for periods up to one full calendar year. They may be for a single term (semester or quarter), academic year, or consecutive terms including a summer not to exceed one calendar year. Occasionally a student may exchange in a term during a sophomore year and another term in a junior or senior year. Any pattern is acceptable as long as the total, combined exchange is no longer than one, full calendar year.

Can Exchange Be To More Than One Campus?

It is permissible to exchange to more than one campus in a single year or in more than one year as long as the cumulative period of exchange is no more than one calendar year. Experience shows, however, that students are usually best served by attending a single campus in consecutive terms.

Whose Student Am I While On Exchange?

Students are subject to the rules and regulations of the host campus while on exchange. In addition, they remain as degree-seeking students at the home institution and are representing the home institution while on exchange. Therefore, they must meet academic requirements of the home campus and maintain standards of the home and host campuses to remain program participants.

You will be subject to your host university's residence hall rules, regulations, and contractual obligations; financial obligations and payment deadlines; course registration and withdrawal schedules; and codes of social/behavioral conduct. Students in violation of campus policies should expect the same consequences as those native to the campus. Failure to make full payment of all required fees or to resolve other debts to the home or host campus will result in the cancellation of your exchange. Until all outstanding financial obligations have been paid, your host campus will not release a transcript, and your home university will not permit re-enrollment, issue a transcript, or award a diploma.

Exchange Checklist

Now that you have seen a summary of how the program works, you should look at the Exchange Checklist to get an idea of the sequence of events that will be required of you in order to go on exchange successfully.

Advising Center
SBS 295 • 1 Harpst St., Arcata, CA 95521 • 707.826.5224 • Contact Us.