Humboldt State University

Skip to secondary navigation
Skip navigation

Department Name

National Student Exchange

National Student Exchange

About the National Student Exchange Program

The National Student Exchange (NSE) is an exciting opportunity to attend one of over 190 colleges and universities in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, Puerto Rico and Guam and still pay in-state tuition while doing so.

What are some of the reasons to go on exchange?

  • Broaden your perspective
  • Explore new cultures
  • Explore new areas of study
  • Learn from different professors
  • Access new courses
  • Break out of your comfort zone
  • Meet new people
  • Live in a different area
  • Investigate graduate schools
  • Seek future employment
  • Become more independent

Who is eligible?

Students who:

  • Are enrolled full-time at HSU at the time of application
  • Were full-time in the term prior to exchange
  • Are in good standing academically, socially and financially
  • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) at the completion of the term prior to exchange and maintain while on exchange.

Note: Those on Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) are eligible. Additional exchange criteria may apply.

What is the Cost?

Generally, students may select between two tuition/fee payment plans: Plan A or Plan B. Each participating school determines which plan (A, B or both) can be used. On Plan A, tuition/fees are assessed at the in-state (resident) rate of the "host" campus. On Plan B, tuition/fees are paid to your "home" school at the rate you normally pay. Tuition/fee rates can be found in the free Directory of Exchange Opportunities available in the Advising Center, SBS 295. On-campus housing and meals are paid for at the "host" school. Transportation costs to and from the exchange campus, and personal expenses must be paid for by the student.

Whether you participate under Plan A or Plan B, you will also be expected to pay those fees at the host school which are assessed as a condition of enrollment (i.e., general service fee, laboratory fee, art and photography supplies, and computer fees, for example.) Field trips and special event fees may be charged for NSE group activities on your host campus. Some host campuses may also assess an institutional application fee, and/or an NSE activity/orientation fee.

How does Financial Aid work on exchange?

In general, students exchanging under Plan A, apply for financial aid from their "host" schools. The student must remember to enter the school's FAFSA code on the FAFSA application. FAFSA codes for all NSE-schools can be found in the free Directory of Exchange Opportunities available in the Advising Center.

Students exchanging under Plan B apply through HSU---their "home" institution. HSU students on Plan B exchanges who qualify for financial aid will have their refund checks mailed to the "host" school financial aid office for disbursement. Details about financial aid should be discussed with the HSU Financial Aid office, including treatment of home campus "work study" eligibility.

When can you go on exchange?

You are eligible if have completed at least 12 units at HSU with an overall G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher and are in good standing academically, socially and financially. You may participate in the program for up to one academic year. A student can exchange to one school for one semester and to a second institution for another term. Students on exchange for one term may "extend" their exchange to a second term with permission of both campuses.

How do grades and credits work?

Full credit is given for work satisfactorily completed on exchange. At HSU, satisfactory is a "C" (NOT C-minus.) Prior to exchange, you must meet with your academic advisor to complete an Academic Advisement Agreement indicating how courses taken on exchange will transfer back to HSU. This ensures that you have complete information concerning your academic work on exchange and its applicability to your own degree program. Grades earned while on exchange will be calculated and reflected in your overall GPA--not your HSU institutional GPA.

Regarding some study abroad programs through NSE, the NSE-sponsoring campus may not evaluate the foreign credits and, therefore, may not issue a transcript from their school. Students should discuss handling of "foreign transcripts" with the Office of the Registrar in advance of exchange.

What is my status while on exchange?

NSE students are not transfer students. They are still students at their home institutions while enrolled at the host school. They are subject to the rules and regulations of both institutions.

Who do I Contact?

Dana Deason
NSE Coordinator / Academic Advisor
Advising Center, SBS 295

Advising Center
SBS 295 • 1 Harpst St., Arcata, CA 95521 • 707.826.5224 • Contact Us.