Humboldt State University

Skip to secondary navigation
Skip navigation

Department Name

Unit Minimums

Degree Requirements

Unit Minimums


  • 120 units to earn a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree
  • 40 must be upper division for all Bachelor of Arts programs
  • (Courses at HSU numbered 300 and above are upper division)
  • 48 units of General education must be completed
  • (36 lower division, 3 area E, 9 units UD GE component)

Residency requirement (must be completed at Humboldt):

  • 30 units
  • 24 units must be upper division (numbered 300 and above)
  • 12 must be upper division within major
  • 9 units of general education coursework (is usually the upper division component, but is not necessarily.

Unit Maximums

  • There are some restrictions set on the number of units that can apply to the degree:
  • Maximum of 70 units from a community college
  • Maximum of 24 Humboldt units with a Credit grade
  • Maximum of 24 units Extended Education coursework
  • Maximum of 24 units of Open University coursework
  • (this limit applies to courses registered for through Extended Education, but selected from the regular Humboldt State curriculum) Maximum of 6 units of Intercollegiate Sports
  • Maximum of 2 units of Intramural Sports

Advising Center
SBS 295 • 1 Harpst St., Arcata, CA 95521 • 707.826.5224 • Contact Us.