Call for Applications:
Undergraduate Student Travel Funds
Priority Submission Deadline:
Monday, October 29, 2018
Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis
The HSU Anthropology Department is accepting applications for travel funding to support students in attending professional conferences/meetings during Fall 2018-Spring 2019.
Criteria for Funding:
- HSU Anth Undergrad Major, enrolled and in good standing at time of application and travel.
- Travel between August 20, 2018 and August 19, 2019 to a professional Anthropology conference that is related to the applicant’s future educational/career goals.
- Applicants are expected to demonstrate financial need, and have applied, if eligible, to other available funding sources (e.g., Anthropology Club, funding from the conferences, HSU College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences https://cahss.humboldt.edu/content/travel)
- Priority consideration will generally be given to those presenting at the conference.
To apply, submit a one-page-maximum MS Word or PDF document with the following:
- Your Info: Name, student ID, major, year in program, overall GPA, major GPA
- Travel Info: Dates, location, event name
- Purpose: Reasons for attending, whether presenting, and contribution to goals
- Budget: Total expected budget, amount requested, and demonstrated need (be sure to include what other sources of funding you have/will apply for)
- Please submit by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants will typically be notified within two weeks of the application deadline if they are approved for funding. There are limited funds, so applicants should plan accordingly.
- Funds will typically be awarded only after travel is completed, with documentation of expenses – a travel expense claim must be filed within 30 days of returning from travel. If extenuating circumstances support a need for funding prior to travel, please describe and support this in your application.
Examples of upcoming meetings:
- Western Bioarchaeology Group (WeBIG), Chico, CA, September 28-29, 2018
- Chico Forensic Conference, Chico, CA, November 3, 2018
- American Association of Anthropologists, San Jose, CA, November 14-18, 2018
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists, Cleveland, OH, March 27-30, 2019
- Society for American Archaeology, Albuquerque, NM, April 10-14, 2019
Assembly Bill No. 1887, which bans state-funded and state-sponsored travel to states with discriminatory laws, is California’s way to taking action to avoid supporting or financing discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. This regulation includes the following eight states at this time: Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas. For more information on this regulation, please visit: https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887.