Medieval Bioarchaeology Program - Poland
July 7-25, 2014, Bezlawki, NE Poland
- Application deadline (for receipt of all materials): April 4, 2014. Admissions will be on a rolling basis, in that as soon as your application is complete a decision will be made. Applications may close before April 4 if the program reaches capacity before that date.
- The application process is fully electronic through the Study Abroad website at
http://humboldt-international.terradotta.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=27203. The application will include:
- Your name, contact information, class standing, major & GPA
- Statement of purpose: A short statement indicating why you would like to participate in this program and how it is related to your life pursuits or career. (500 words max)
- Statement of cultural sensitivity: A short statement of indicating how you will be culturally sensitive throughout the course. (500 words max)
- Resume/CV (2 pages max) listing jobs held, any travel experience, extracurricular activities, and/or any distinctions and honors received.
- Unofficial college transcripts for all college coursework.
- Contact information for two references. References should be individuals other than the course instructors and should be college faculty members or other individuals well qualified to evaluate your ability to succeed in the program
- Application deadline (for receipt of all materials): April 4, 2014
Program Admission Requirements
- All application materials received by application deadline
- Good academic standing
- Minimum GPA 2.0
- No significant incidences of offensive/disruptive behavior, plagiarism, or cheating on file with HSU Student Affairs or with another college currently attending.
- 22-25 students will be admitted to the program.
Applicants will be Evaluated Based on the Following
- Student status (at the application deadline) - priority given in the following order: (1) current seniors and graduate students, (2) juniors or those who have already graduated with a bachelor's degree, (3) sophomores, (4) freshmen, (5) applicants with no college credits.
- HSU students will be given priority over non-HSU students.
- Anthropology majors will be given priority over non-majors.
- GPA and quality of college transcripts.
- Previous coursework in related subjects.
- Maturity and preparedness as demonstrated in letters of recommendation and resume.
- Quality and seriousness of application.
- All applications will be considered without regard to race, color, national and ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation or preference, gender, or age.
Program Costs per Student
- $1,320 = 6 units of tuition through Extended Education
- $3,700 = Program fees
- $1,400 = estimated airfare (flying from a major airport or modifying departure dates may lower costs significantly)
- $ 60 = Student health insurance
- $100 = Books (students may share books and purchased used copies).
Students may take out any eligible student loan amount that they have not yet used for the 2013-2014 academic year. You might want to seek out scholarships and other funding sources to help finance your trip to Poland and also to help build your resume.
Some scholarships of particular interest are:
- There are several scholarships from the Institute for Field Research, particularly the Need-Based Scholarship ($2000) and the Merit-Based Scholarship ($2500) - Deadline March 28, 2014. Website: http://www.ifrglobal.org/students/scholarships
- Archaeological Institute of America Jane C. Waldbaum Archaeological Field School Scholarship ($1,000) - Deadline March 1, 2014. Website http://www.archaeological.org/grants/708
For past field schools, students have also been successful in organizing fundraising activities.
Once the payment in full is submitted, no refund will be given without petitioning the office of Extended Education. If a refund is granted, only the portion that has not been committed on behalf of the individual will be refunded. In the event that a student must cancel prior to departure for Poland and after paying his or her deposit, the deposit will not be refunded. HSU tuition costs will be refunded under standard policies. Please see http://www.humboldt.edu/~extended/drop.html.