Associated Students Council Representative Opportunities
A voting member of the AS Council
Powers and Duties of the At-Large Representative:
- Formulate the Association’s Rules, Regulations and Policies, as detailed in the Associated Students Code and other policy papers;
- Vote on actions or decisions taken by the AS Council;.
- Make appropriations from the treasury of the Association;
- Approve standing rules of the Council and meeting calendar;.
- Establish the amount of the Association’s membership fee with the approval of its membership voting on this issue in an election;
- Impeach any officer of the Association;
- Call special elections;
- Place legislative initiatives on the ballot by majority vote;
- Elect a Vice Chair from its membership;. li>
- Maintain written records of the A.S. Council proceedings which shall be posted for the benefit of the members of the Association;
- Promote the use and development of programs funded by the Association;
- Approve the annual budget;
- Monitor and evaluate budgets of and services offered by the organizations funded by the Association;
- Approve Executive Officer appointments by a 2/3 vote;
- Create committees and ad-hoc committees, and to empower those committees to accomplish goals set by the Council;
- Ratify the results of the Associated Students Elections;
Associated Students Council Appointed Opportunities
A nonvoting member of the AS Council
Powers and Duties of the Elections Commissioner:
- Coordinates and directs all A.S. elections and shall encourage voter participation through legal and acceptable means.
- Chairs of the Elections Commission.
- Develops information packets available to the candidates.
- Oversees the coordination of the Voter’s Guide.
- Supervises the placement of all required advertisements in the Lumberjack publicizing all available positions.
- Coordinates the candidate forums.
- Supervises the voting process.
- Hear all infractions, quarrels, disputes and disagreements involving campaigns and elections.
- Oversees the prompt and accurate posting of the unofficial results.
- Is responsible for hiring and training election workers.
Minimum Qualifications for AS Council Members
- Be a current HSU student with a minimum of nine units for the current semester.
- Have a cumulative and current semester 2.3 GPA
- Successfully completed twelve semester units at HSU within the 12 months preceding this semester.
- No more than 132 cumulative units or 125 percent of the units required for a specific baccalaureate degree.
For Post-Baccalaureate Students:
- Maintain six units per semester
- Cumulative and semester 3.0 GPA
- No more than 50 cumulative units or 125 percent of the units required for a specific baccalaureate degree.
How to Apply
Please deliver a cover letter and resume to the Associated Students Office. The office is located in the University Center.
For additional details please call (707) 826-4221 or visit the Associated Students website, http://www.humboldt.edu/associatedstudents
If you are unsure or need help writing a cover letter or a resume, we recommend going to the Career Center
Associated Students Committee Member Opportunities
Associated Students is the vehicle for student involvement in the shared governance of Humboldt State. AS Executives are assigned appointments to various campus committees and are responsible for reviewing applications for committee vacancies, interviewing fellow student candidates and requesting approval of their recommendation to the AS Council. Committee opportunities are available to all students and applications for committee vacancies are accepted and appointed throughout the academic year. The Associated Students publishes the annual AS Committee Handbook which provides potential student leaders with detailed information on all university committees that have student appointments. A list of current students serving on Committees is available on our website so that students can contact student committee members by e-mail and view which positions are currently vacant. If you are interested in applying for a committee position for this year please fill out our simple online application form. After your application is submitted you will be contacted by an AS Executive.