Resolution No: 2009-10-2 - An Act to Amend ARTICLE IV, Section B of the Associated Students Constitu
RESOLUTION No. 2009-10-2
REFERRED TO: AS COUNCIL
ACTION APPROVED: 8-31-09
SUBJECT: An Act to Amend ARTICLE IV, Section B of the Associated Students Constitution, and the Associated Students Government Code and Elections Code
WHEREAS, The Associated Students of Humboldt State University currently has two All University Representatives that represent Undeclared and Interdisciplinary students and has faced continued difficulty filling both positions due to the small number of eligible students. The Associated Students recognize that needs of the students may be better met with a full AS Council by deleting one All University Representative position from the Council and replacing it with one At-Large Representative by amending the AS Constitution and Codes in the following manner; therefore,
BE IT ENACTED, by the Associated Students Council that the following amendments are made to Article IV, Section B of the Associated Student Constitution:
B. Membership: Membership on the A.S. Council shall consist of college-specific representatives, two all university representatives one all-university representative, one at-large representative, and one graduate student representative.
Membership shall also include one Residence Hall Association (RHA) representative elected in the Spring RHA elections and seated by AS Council by a two-thirds majority.
BE IT ENACTED, by the Associated Students Council that the following amendments are made to Article VII, Section C of the Associated Student Constitution:
1. Nominations: Executive Officers shall be nominated by petitions signed by one-hundred and fifty (150) members of the Association. A.S. college-specific representatives shall be nominated by petitions signed by fifty (50) members of the Association within the college he/she is representing. The A.S. All University representatives shall be nominated by petitions signed by fifty (50) members of the Association within the All University Program. The A.S. At-Large representative shall be nominated by petition signed by fifty (50) members of the Association. Graduate Student representatives shall be nominated by petitions signed by twenty (20) members of the Association who are Graduate Students. Petitions for nomination shall be filed with the Elections Commission not less than fourteen (14) calendar days not more than forty-two (42) calendar days prior to the regular election; the Elections Commission has three (3) school days to rule on the eligibility of a candidate after filing; and public notice to the effect that nominations are in order shall be posted on official bulletin boards and shall be published in the school newspaper at least forty-two (42) days prior to the election by the Elections Commission.
3. No member of the Association shall vote for a candidate for representative of a college other than the college in which that member of the Association is enrolled. In the case of persons with more than one major, the person shall have the right to choose from amongst colleges in which that person is enrolled to vote for a college representative candidate. Students with undeclared majors shall vote for the all university student representative. All students may vote for the At-Large Representative.
BE IT ENACTED, by the Associated Students Council that the following amendments are made to the Associated Students Government Code:
2.02 Membership on the Associated Student Council shall consist of thirteen (13) representatives – nine (9) College representatives (three from each college of the University), two one (1) All University representatives, one (1) At-Large representative, one (1) Graduate representative and one (1) Residence Hall Association representative.
The College representatives shall consist of the following:
1. College of Professional Studies
2. College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, and
3. College of Natural Resources and Sciences.
BE IT ENACTED, by the Associated Students Council that the following amendments are made to the Associated Students Elections Code:
13.09 Members of the Association shall vote for candidate(s) for representatives of the college in which that member is enrolled. All University Students with shall vote for an All University student representative candidate. Graduate student members shall also vote for a Graduate student representative candidate. All members of the Association may vote for the At-Large representative candidate.
BE IT ENACTED, by the Associated Students Council that the following additions are made to the Associated Students Elections Code and that the code is renumbered accordingly:
7.07 A.S. At-Large Representatives shall file a Petition for Candidacy form signed by fifty (50) members of the Association.
7.10 Candidates for At-Large Representatives must be a registered student for at least the semester prior to filing for candidacy and may be of any major or undeclared.
* Original Signatures are on file in the Associated Students Business Office.