Ecology and systematics of fungi
Phone: (707) 826-4841
Office: Science B 123A
Research website: www.tropicalfungi.org
BA (1983) Ohio University
MS (1988) University of Wyoming
PhD (2001) Duke University
- Curriculum Vitae
Summary of research
Mycology is a mainstay of the HSU Botany Program with courses in mycology, forest pathology, and mushroom identification. My research investigates macrofungal biodiversity and ecological relationships in the remote tropical rainforests of South America's Guiana Shield and the Guineo-Congolian region of Central Africa. My lab also examines the overlooked but important roles that native forest pathogenic fungi have in shaping forest communities in northern California.
Select Recent Publications
- Grupe AC, Baker AD, Uehling JK, Baroni TJ, Lodge DJ, Henkel TW. 2015. Sarcodon in the Neotropics I. New species from Guyana, Puerto Rico, and Belize. Mycologia (in press)
- Henkel TW, Aime MC, Largent DL, Baroni TJ. 2014. The Entolomataceae of the Pakaraima Mountains of Guyana VI: Ten new species and one combination in Nolanea. Mycotaxon 129: 119-148. PDF
- Henkel TW, Wilson AW, Aime MC, Dierks J, Uehling JK, Roy M, Schimann H, Wartchow
F, Mueller GM. 2014. Cantharellaceae of Guyana II. New species of Craterellus, new South American records for Cantharellus guyanensis and Craterellus excelsus, and a key to the Neotropical taxa. Mycologia 106: 307-322. PDF
- Tedersoo L, Bahram M, Polme S, …Henkel T,….and 52 others. 2014. Global diversity and geography of soil fungi. Science 346: DOI: 10.1126/science.1256688. PDF
- Mayor JR, Bahram M, Henkel TW, Buegger F, Pritsch K, Tedersoo L. 2014. Ectomycorrhizal impacts on plant nitrogen nutrition: emerging isotopic patterns, latitudinal variation, and possible mechanisms. Ecology Letters: DOI: 10.1111/ele.12377. PDF
- Husbands DR, Henkel TW, Bonito G, Smith ME. 2013. New species of Xerocomus (Boletales) from the Guiana Shield, with notes on their ectomycorrhizal status and fruiting occurrence. Mycologia 105: 422-435. PDF
- Smith ME, Henkel TW, Uehling JK, Fremier AK, Clarke HD, Vilgalys R. 2013. The
ectomycorrhizal fungal community in a Neotropical forest dominated by the endemic dipterocarp Pakaraimaea dipterocarpacea. PLoS ONE 8: e55160. PDF
- Henkel TW,Aime MC, Chin M, Miller SL, Vilgalys R, Smith ME. 2012. Ectomycorrhizal fungal sporocarp diversity and discovery of new taxa in Dicymbe monodominant forests of the Guiana Shield. Biodiversity and Conservation 21: 2195-2220. PDF
Arthur Grupe II
: Systematics of Neotropical species of Sarcodon
Jordan Mayor (2004-05): Ectomycorrhizal influence on leaf litter decomposition in monodominant tropical forests of Guyana.
Lance Woolley (2005-06): Reiteration in the monodominant tropical tree Dicymbe corymbosa (Caesalpiniaceae) and its potential adaptive significance.
Tara Fulgenzi (2007-09): Systematic studies on Boletaceae (Basidiomycota) of Guyana.
Ashley Hawkins (2007-09): Forest pathogen dynamics in old-growth mixed coniferous forests of the Coast Range, Northern California.
Jessie Uehling (2010-2012) : Systematics and molecular ecology of Cantharellales from the Guiana Shield.