Student Projects

Application Instructions For Graduates

PLEASE NOTE: The Master of Science Biology Graduate Program admits new students during the Fall semester only.
Application Timeline for FALL 2016:

Priority application period will open October 1, 2015 and close on February 1, 2016 - Completed applications, with all materials received in the Graduate Admissions Office by February 1, will get priority consideration by the graduate program.  Applications for which required materials arrive at the Admissions Office after February 1 will subsequently be considered in the order received. Please send all required application materials directly to the Office of Admissions by email to: or by postal mail to Humboldt State University, Office of Admissions, 1 Harpst Street Arcata, CA 95521. Apply through CSU Mentor.

Other graduate information can be found on the Humboldt State Graduate Programs website.

About two-three weeks after your application submission, you will receive a posted letter with your HSU Student ID and Log-In Information to access your Student Center. You can track your application status in your Student Services Center under the "To Do List" tab, there you will see anything that is still needed for your application to be complete.

Step-By-Step Instructions on how to apply:

1.) Application: Complete the California State University Graduate Application online at CSU Mentor. A $55.00 application fee is required at time of application. Please note that the Application Fee Waiver is no longer available for Master's Applications.  If you are unable to pay with a credit card, a check can be mailed to the address indicated below. The Institution Code for Humboldt State University: 4345

An official report of your GRE General Test Scores is required. The verbal, quantitative and analytical sections are mandatory.


You must contact at least one potential advisor before you submit your application to see if the advisor is taking on new students. Please contact them by phone, email, or (best) in person. Make sure that your Statement of Purpose clearly states your research interests and career goals, to better determine which faculty will be the best fit, and to convince at least one faculty member that you would make an excellent graduate student. Check the Biological Sciences web site for the list of faculty and research areas. Graduate Advisors are always on the lookout for promising students, so don’t be shy about making contact. You should be proactive and assertive about your strengths. Decisions about acceptance will not be made until your completed application file has been reviewed, so these conversations with potential advisors should reveal whether you are a serious candidate for consideration!

2.) THREE Letters of Recommendations: are now submitted online through CSU Mentor, Page 11. If you have questions regarding this step, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office, 707.826.6250.

3.) Transcripts: One official transcript is required from each college or university you have ever attended, sent directly to Graduate Admissions (address below). Official transcripts must be in their original sealed envelope.

Please send all required application materials directly to the Office of Admissions by email to: or by postal mail to Humboldt State University, Office of Admissions, 1 Harpst Street Arcata, CA 95521.

Humboldt State University Transcript Exceptions:
You do not need to request transcripts for any work completed at HSU. If you were enrolled at Humboldt as a regular matriculated student within the past 5 years, we will still have your file, you do not need to request transcripts for college work completed elsewhere, unless you completed that college work after you left Humboldt.

A detailed Statement of Purpose MUST be included in your application in order for it to be complete. PLEASE specify who you want as your graduate advisor at the very top of your statement! Also, please specify on your detailed Statement of Purpose (SOP):

(a) potential research areas that are of interest to you;
(b) at least one or more faculty who should review your file;
(c) your reasons for pursuing a M.S. degree.

NOTE: You must file a FAFSA (Opens January 1st, with a deadline of March 2nd) to be eligible for a Graduate Teaching Assistant Fee Waiver, however, fee waivers are contingent upon funding.

Information about financial aid, scholarships, and costs can be found here:Financial Aid

Information for international applicants is available at:

If you're interested in a schedule of classes, please see the Class Schedule 

You will find the current campus information in the college catalog

Information about housing is at

Information regarding jobs & career resources can be found at the Career Center

If you are a non-resident of California, non-resident fees are an additional $372 per unit at this time.  If you have questions about residency, please go to

Further questions can be directed to:
Dr. Erik S. Jules
Graduate Coordinator
Department of Biological Sciences