To assure graduation in a timely manner it is essential that you see a Chemistry Department advisor as soon as possible. For general information about the Department or Major contact the Chair or the Administrative Assistant. To be assigned an Advisor contact the Department Administrative Assistant. You may also want to take a look at the five year plan (PDF) and at the degree course MAPS.

Department Newsletters

Research Opportunities

All of the faculty members in the Department of Chemistry have an active undergraduate research program. The topics cover many areas of chemistry, including: biochemistry, organic synthesis, floral scents, marine, molecular modeling, analytical and physical chemistry. To learn more about the research our faculty members are carrying out with their undergraduate students, please visit their web pages via the individual faculty member links to their information pages: Chemistry Faculty.

Recent Publications and Presentations
(Faculty names are underlined and link to their information page. Undergraduate students’ names are marked with an *)


Chemistry Department Scholarships:
Humboldt Chemistry Research Scholarship ($1,000)
Honoring Dr. Merv Hanson - Available to upper division students with a declared major in Chemistry or Biochemistry to support undergraduate chemistry research at HSU. Required GPA of 2.5 or higher.

Humboldt Chemistry Scholarship ($1,000)
Available to upper division students with a declared major in Biochemistry or Chemistry. Required GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Dr. Richard Paselk Biochemistry/ Biophysics Scholarship ($1000)
Available to Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors conducting biophysics or biochemistry research with an HSU Chemistry department faculty member. Required GPA of 2.5 or higher, majoring in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or Physics.

Charles and Judith Ferguson Dvorak Endowment Scholarship ($1000-1500)
Available to students majoring in Chemistry or Biochemistry

Lorensen Chemistry Scholarship ($3000)
Available to students majoring in Chemistry or Biochemistry. Required GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Scholarships Outside the Department:
Lillian E. Woodward Scholarship.

Purpose: Provide scholarships for full time students pursuing a degree in Biology or Chemistry with a curriculum emphasis in pre-pharmacy. Must have at least two semesters of coursework for degree completion and must have a minimum 2.5 GPA. Selection to be determined by the Financial Aid Office.
Vera Woolford Scholarship.

Purpose: Provide scholarships for worthy students at Humboldt State University who are interested in and who are pursuing study of the medical sciences. Selection to be determined by the Financial Aid Office. No other application is required.
Malcolm Oliphant Scholarships in Marine Science.

Purpose: One graduate and one undergrad scholarship will be awarded on the basis of excellence. Work in progress at the Telonicher Marine Laboratory, Trinidad, will be one factor considered in the award of the scholarships. Students working on projects at the Marine Laboratory or working on marine science projects elsewhere that have implications for marine organisms are encouraged to apply. Academic promise will be demonstrated by scholastic achievement in at least two consecutive semesters of enrollment at HSU and by commentary provided by two faculty members familiar with the academic achievements of the applicant. Potential or promise for a productive career in some aspect of marine science will be considered.
ACS Chemistry Scholarships. See the American Chemical Society.

Other scholarships, not specific to Chemistry majors can also be found through Humboldt State University's online scholarship application. The online application can be accessed through the Scholarships link on the home page of student's myHumboldt portal.

Hazardous Materials Information

Laboratory Safety Regulations
Chemistry Department Stockroom
  • EH&S Hazardous Materials Safety Information
  • photo: liquid nitrogen demonstrationphoto: combustion

    Precaution and proper safety equipment are essential.

    Hazard Identification Feedback Form

    As part of our Injury and Illness Prevention Program the Department of Chemistry at Humboldt State University encourages employee and student feedback to help identify workplace hazards. A feedback form is provided on our website for this purpose. It can be submitted to the campus office of Environmental Health and Occupational Safety, anonymously, if one so desires.

    Material Safety Data Sheets

    The EH&S Hazardous Materials Information website contains a list of useful Internet accessible MSDS servers.