Self Help Resources >>Happiness & Well Being
Positive work outcomes are associated with:
- Positive work orientation (seeing work as job, career, or calling): Employees who identify a sense of meaningfulness in their work are happier (Pratt and Ashforth, 2003).
- Positive climate (psychological experience of work environment): A positive work climate has been found to enhance decision making, productivity, creativity, social integration and prosocial behaviors (Staw and Barsade, 1993).
- Positive communication: “Single most important factor in predicting team performance, which was more than twice as powerful as any other factor, was the ratio of positive comments to negative comments” (Losada and Heaphy, 2004).
Research has shown that students who kept gratitude journals experienced:
- Fewer physical symptoms such as headaches and colds
- Felt better about their lives and were more optimistic about the coming week
- Had higher states of alertness, attentiveness, determination and energy
- Reported fewer hassles in their lives
- Engaged in more helping behavior towards other people and had a sense of being more connected to others
- Experienced better sleep quality
- Were absent and tardy less
- Had higher GPAs. (Emmons)
In the Journal Psychological Science, check out these AUTHORS: Csicksentmihalyi; Diener; Seligman; Fredrickson; Peterson; Steen; Niemac; Deci; Ryan; Lyubomirsky; Isen; Park; Reschly; Gable; Furlong; Snyder; Lopex; McCullough; Richardson; Taylor; Park; Hu; Luskin; Ben-Shahar
- Achor, Shawn. The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work. Crown Business; 2010.
- Hanh, Thich Nhat. Happiness: Essential Mindfulness Practices. Parallax Press; 2009.
- Hanson, Rick. Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence. Harmony; 2013.
- Hanson, Rick and Siegel, Daniel. Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom. New Harbinger Publications; 2009.
- Harris, Russ. The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living. Trumpeter; 2011.
- Ricard, Matthieu. Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill. Little, Brown, and Company; 2008.
- Salzberg, Sharon. Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation: A 28-Day Program. Workman Publishing Company; 2010.
- Seligman, Martin.
- Flourish, A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being
- Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
- Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment
- Buddhify 2: "the mindfulness app for your modern life." Dozens of custom meditations for 14 different parts of your day. Cost is $1.99. iOS.
- Conscious: increase your mindfulness and awareness by taking simple and effective daily challenges alongside other like-minded people. Rated at 4.6 stars. Free. Android.
- The Gratitude Habit: A Happiness Workshop from LiveBetterYou. Workshop on happiness with tips on incorporating gratitude and appreciation into your own life. Five star app. Free. iOS.
- Gratitude & Happiness(Self-Help Journal, Todo, Thoughts and Mood Tracker): Track basic happiness items and graph them. This is "a slice" of the Track & Share app above. If you purchase that app, skip this one. Cost is $.99. iOS.
- Gratitude Journal: create and search journal entries, add photos to entries, email entries, set a daily reminder, etc. Cost is $.99. iOS.
- Happy App--Beat Depression, Anxiety & Stress, Guided Meditation & Hypnosis. Guided hypnosis by Racheal Meddows. Cost is $3.99. iOS
- Headspace (on-the-go). Meditation app with quick techniques to "help you sleep better, focus more, & get some relief from a busy mind." For iOS and Android. Free.
- iZen Garden for iPad: Create your own Zen garden (with a rake, sand and rocks..). Cost is $4.99. iOS.
- Lift-Daily Motivation: "Unlock your potential. Change your life." Coaching toward making your goals habitual, see your progress visualized, get support from your friends, try to beat your best streak. Free. iOS and Android.
- Meditation 4 Inner Wisdom: guided meditation/self-hypnosis. Free. iOS.
- Mindfulness Meditation: guided meditations ranging from 5 to 40 minutes; includes an audio guide to meditation. Cost is $1.99. iOS.
- MindHealth: an app (based on Buddhist Psychology) to help you reduce stress, calm the mind, and "sow the seeds of happiness" through your meditation practice. Helps you learn acceptance, non-judgment, compassion, gratitude, loving kindness. Android.
- Mindful Meditation Hypnosis by Subliminal Affirmations. Choose a short or long session of hypnosis led by Rachael Meddows. Free with in app purchases. iOS.
- The Now-Mindful LIving: helps you to retrain your mind to live more fully in the moment. Provides periodic cues to be fully focused on the present. Free. iOS.
- The Power of Gratitude: understand the power of gratitude, keep your own gratitude list, etc. Cost is $1.37. Android.
- Transform Your Life: A Year of Awareness Practice by Cheri Huber: provides 365 days of inspirational quotes, encouragement, and daily assignments supporting awareness practice. Free with in app purchases available. iOS.
- Zen Wisdom: Collection of Zen quotes that bring perspective. Cost is $.99.
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin
- Happiness Through Self-Awareness
- TED Radio Hour (does not have an explicit focus on positive psychology, but most of the talks are geared in this direction)
- 10% Happier with Dan Harris
- The School of Greatnes with Lewis Howes
- The following podcasts reflect principles or teachings from Buddhist Psychology:
- Against the Stream
- Duncan Trussel Family Hour (talks with guests: Sharon Salzberg, Lama Surya Das, Jack Kornfeld, Joan Halifax)
- Heart Wisdom with Jack Kornfeld
- Tara Brach
Self Help Resources >>Happiness & Well BeingSkip to Navigation