Skip to ContentSkip to Secondary Navigation
The College Experience
Helping Your Child Cope With Crises and/or Mental Health Issues
Resources for Parents of Individuals with Alcohol or Other Drug Issues
- The US Department of Education's Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention
- Brown, Stephanie, Lewis, Virginia M., Liotta, Andrew. The Family Recovery Guide: A Map for Healthy Growth. New Harbinger Publications; 2000.
- Brown, Stephanie, Lewis, Virginia M. The Alcoholic Family In Recovery: A Developmental Model. Guilford Press; 2012.
- Conyers, Beverly. Addict in the Family. Hazelden Publishing; 2009.
- Herzanek, Joe, et al. Why Don't They Just Quit? Changing Lives Foundation; 2nd edition; 2010. This book overs hope and practical solutions to families to they can help someone struggling with addiction to begin the road to recovery. Highly regarded.
Resources for Parents of Individuals with Disordered Eating
- Costin, Carolyn. Your Dieting Daughter: Antidotes Parents can Provide for Body Dissatisfaction, Excessive Dieting, and Disordered Eating, Routledge, 2013
- Natenshon, Abigail H. When Your Child Has an Eating Disorder: A Step-by-Step Workbook for Parents and Other Caregivers, Jossey-Bass, 1999
- Parent Toolkit from National Eating Disorder Association: understand more about how to support a family member or friend affected by an eating disorder
- NationalEatingDisorders.org: offers many useful resources for parents on the topic of Eating Disorders, including a Parent, Family & Friends Network, with free webinars and support programs and a "Making Connections Magazine"
Resources for Parents of Individuals with Mood Disorders
Resources for Parents of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, & Questioning Individuals
- Boenke, Mary. Trans Forming Families: Real Stories About Transgendered Loved Ones. PFLAG Transgender Network; 3rd edition; 2008.
- Brill, Stephanie and Pepper, Rachel. The Transgender Child: A Handbook for Families and Professionals. Cleis Press; 2008.
- Brown, Mildred, and Rounsley, Chloe. True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism for Famiiles, Friends, Coworkers, and Helping Professionals. Jossey-Bass; 1996. This book was updated in 2003-- this edition will be priced a bit higher.
- Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere: COLAGE; organization providing information and advocacy for children of an LGBTQ parent
- Dew, Robb Forman. The Family Heart: A Memoir of When Our Son Came Out. Ballantine Books; 1995.
- Family Equality Council: organization supporting LGBTQ parents and families
- Griffin, C, et al. Beyond Acceptance: Parents of Lesbians and Gays Talk About Their Experiences. St. Martins Press; 1997.
- Herman, Joanne. Transgender Explained For Those Who Are Not. AuthorHouse; 2009.
- Jennings, Kevin & Shapiro, Pat. Always My Child: A Parent's Guide to Understanding Your Gay, Lesbian, Transgendered, or Questioning Son or Daughter. Touchstone; 2003
- Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays: PFLAG-- organization supports LGBTQ individuals and their families
- Parks, Anita. OMG My Son is Gay... Amazon Digital Services; 2012. This is a short read at only 62 pages.
- Proud Parenting: general interest site for LGBTQ parents
- My princess boy: Acceptance of the male image: Cheryl Kilodavis. A mother's story of learning to accept her son's differences (video)
Resources for Parents of Individuals with Psychosis / Schizophrenia
- Kaye, Randye. Ben Behind His Voices: One Family's Journey from the Chaos of Schizophrenia to Hope. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers; 2011
- Muesser, Kim and Gigerich, Susan. The Complete Family Guide to Schizophrenia: Helping Your Loved One Get the Most Out of Life. Guilford Press; 2006.
- Saks, Elyn R. The Center Cannot Hold. Hyperiod, Reprint edition; 2007. This is a fascinating first-hand account of Sak's experience of psychosis. Inspiring, but a heavy read.
- Torrey, E. Fuller. Surviving Schizophrenia: A Manual for Families, Patients, and Providers. HarperCollins; 5th edition; 2006.
- Williams, Paris. Rethinking Madness: Towards a Paradigm Shift in Our Understanding and Treatment of Psychosis. Sky's Edge Publishing; 2012.
Resources to Help with Family-Related Issues
Return to Top
Skip to Navigation