Humboldt State University Wordmark

Early Childhood Development Minor

This minor provides a background in the development of children from birth through age eight with a focus on four interrelated areas. The minor is useful to those wishing to work with children and families.

Early Childhood CAP Transfer Option

  • CAP: CA Curriculum Alignment Project The approved 24-unit package (from a California Community College), should follow the plan of study outlined in the HSU Course Catalog. This option can readily be completed within two years of full-time study if lower division education coursework is also complete.
  • Core (33-34 units)
  • CD 211 Perspectives: Professional Development
  • CD 350 Perspectives: Life-Span
  • CD 310 Perspectives: History & Theory
  • CD 354 Methods of Observation
  • CD 355 Language Development, or
  • COMM 422 Children's Communication
  • CD 366 Exceptional Children & Their Families
  • CD 467 Working with Culturally Diverse Families, or
  • CD 465 Parents in Partnership
  • CD 469 Contemporary Issues in Child Development
  • CD 479 Policy Analysis & Advocacy
  • Note: The core 3 units of child growth and
    development and 3-4 units for the first
    practicum are covered by transfer package. Emphasis and Specialization (8 units)
  • CD 358 Supervised Work with Children II
  • CD 482 Field Placement
  • CD 499 Family Theory

Requirements for the Minor

  • Growth & Development (complete two):
  • CD 253: Prenatal & Infant Development
  • CD 255: Early Childhood Development
  • CD 350: Perspectives: Life-Span Development

  • One of the above courses is a prerequisite to all other courses in the minor.
  • Guidance & Discipline (complete one):
  • CD 257: Supervised Work with Children, I
  • CD 354: Methods of Observation
  • Special Needs of Children (complete one):
  • CD 362: Children & Stress
  • CD 366: Exceptional Children & Their Families
  • CD 464: Atypical Child Development
  • Family Relations (complete one):
  • CD 352: Parent/Child Relations
  • CD 467: Working with Culturally Diverse Families
  • Child Development Permit

  • Students who minor in Early Childhood Development may wish to explore requirements for the Child Development Permit, issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and required for teaching preschool children in state and federally funded programs in California.