Humboldt State University Wordmark

Recreation Administration (BA)

Recreation majors have many fieldwork choices through the abundance of nearby parks, wilderness areas, lakes, beaches, rivers, and leisure-oriented organizations such as municipal recreation departments, service organizations and tourism attractions.

To assist in your planning, please see: Five Year Course Rotation

These are the core requirements for any of the three options:

Definition Requirements

REC 200: Leisure in Society

REC 210: Recreation Leadership

Developmental Stage Requirements

REC 220: Leisure Programming

REC 310: Recreation for Special Groups

REC 320: Organization, Administration & Facility Planning

REC 420: Legal & Financial Aspects of Recreation

Culminatory Stage Requirements

REC 482: Internship in Recreation

REC 485: Senior Seminar


Outdoor Adventure Recreation Option

REC 330 Adventure Theory & Practice

REC 370 Outdoor Adventure Rec

REC 375 Winter Adventure Leadership

REC 435 Geotourism

One of the following:

REC 340 Camp Organization & Counseling

REC 345 Environmental Education

Tourism Management Option

REC 335: Tourism Planning& Development

REC 365: Travel Industry Management
REC 435: Geotourism

One of the following:
REC 370: Outdoor Adventure Rec
BA 415: Int'l Business Essentials

One of the following:
REC 330: Adventure Theory & Practice
REC 345: Environmental Education

Self-Designed Option

Students may design their own concentration with a minimum of 14 units of thematic upper-division coursework; at least six units must be in recreation administration (REC) courses. The self-designed concentration must be approved by two members of the Recreation Administration faculty.

Required Minor/Minor Field of Study in Business Administration

Minor: 18 units

Minor Field of Study: 12 units