A minor is similar to a major but is less comprehensive. Although a minor is not required for graduation, many students find that a minor complements their studies and enhances their career opportunities. Courses comprising the minor may also fulfill some general education or major requirements.

A minor must be completed in conjunction with a degree. Students must complete a minimum of 15 applicable units and meet all other academic requirements to receive a minor in Ethnic Studies, Women's Studies, or Multicultural Queer Studies.

The ES and WS Minors consist of three required courses, totaling 9 units of coursework, and 6 units of elective coursework. These minors offer students an introduction to the field of Ethnic Studies or Women's Studies, and the elective units enable students to craft an individual course of study to complement their majors.

The MQS Minor consists of two required courses, totaling 6 units, and 7 units of elective coursework. MQS minors are also required to complete a Service Learning Requirement (2-3 units). The Service Learning Requirement infuses the MQS minor with a spirit of activism and community service while simultaneously providing students with field-based opportunities to grapple with issues of gender and sexual identity in a political, service, or cultural context. Sites for internships include (but are not limited to) The Raven Project, HSU's Queer Student Union, Planned Parenthood, and local high school based gay-straight alliances.