Humboldt State University

Student employees at the J

Dining Services

Dining Employment

Dining Services: Employment Opportunities

Student Employment Information:

HSU Dining Services employs over 500 students between the J, the Depot, Library Cafe, Giant's Cupboard, College Creek Marketplace, Hilltop Marketplace, Catering and Windows Café.

Students are able to work a maximum of 18 hours per week while attending school.

Among the benefits of working for Dining Services are:

  • Convenient location to commute from work to class
  • Ability to work around class schedules
  • Workers' leave during the University's breaks
  • Meal discounts

Students start at $10.50 per hour, with the opportunity for raises once a year, and are paid every other week. Managers at each site will hire and set schedules for their employees.

Most of the hiring at the J, The Giant’s Cupboard, the College Creek Marketplace, and the Windows Café is conducted in March and April for the next fall. A few remaining staff positions at these establishments are added during the few weeks before school starts in the fall. The Depot, on the other hand, hires two to three weeks before school starts for the fall semester. Additional staff is hired as shifts become available. All new employees are required to

Download UC Student Employment Application in PDF »

Download Availability Form in PDF »

To be considered for employment please complete both forms and return to the location of your choice or mail them to HSU Dining Services, 355 Granite Ave. Arcata, CA 95521

In order to be hired as an employee of the University Center, the federal government requires that you prove your identity and your eligibility to work in the United States.

  • Documents that prove your identity and eligibility to work in the United States (REQUIRED).* In general, employees find that the most convenient documents to establish identity and eligibility for this purpose are:
  • A current passport, or
  • A current driver's license, or state ID, or student ID, AND an original Social Security card (not a copy), or
  • A current driver's license, or state ID, or student ID, AND a certifiedbirth certificate (not a copy)

If you do not have the above-mentioned required documents, please call the UC Business Office at (707) 826-4160 for a list of other forms of ID that the federal government accepts. Keep in mind that we cannot accept copies; as an employer we are required by law to view original documents.

  • Bank account information, including routing and account numbers, to enroll in Direct Deposit. (This is highly encouraged, but not required.)

*If you are not a US citizen, please contact the UC Business Office at (707) 826-4160 for information on the type of supplemental documentation you will need to bring to your hiring appointment. 

Work Study students must also bring in the following documentation:

  • Copy of Financial Aid award printed from your Student Center
  • Social Security Card

The UC Business Office is on the third floor of the University Center building. For directions, check with your hiring supervisor or the Information Counter located on the second floor below the HSU Bookstore.

Current Employees

You can view your time clock information through the University Center Time and Attendance System.

Note: The on-line time clock may not list the correct hours for the last day worked. Please contact your supervisor with questions regarding your hours.


When is Payday?

Download the 2017 UC Pay Day Schedule in PDF

Pay Checks

See informational flier.

If you would like to have your paycheck directly deposited into your bank account instead of stopping in every other week to pick up your check please fill out the form at the link below and turn it into the UC Business Office.