Getting Started and Registering for Services
The Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) provides services in support of the educational experience of students with disabilities attending Humboldt State University (HSU). Eligibility for program participation is based on written medical documentation of disability which is held strictly confidential. Services are approved each term on a course-by-course basis.
To Register for Support Services with SDRC:
STEP 1: Obtain Disability Documentation
Obtain a copy of your disability documentation from your doctor, practitioner, or other qualified individual.
If you do not have documentation, please have a doctor or appropriate practitioner complete the appropriate form from the list below:
- Disability Verification Form
- Learning Disability Documentation Guidelines
- Emotional Support Animal Verification Form
STEP 2: Submit Documentation to SDRC
Submit your documentation to the SDRC. Documentation may be brought to the SDRC, Lower Library or faxed to (707) 826-5397.
Schedule an intake appointment with a Disability Counselor at SDRC. During the intake appointment, the Disability Counselor will:
- Review the documentation you provide
- Engage in an interactive discussion regarding your functional limitations and how they may affect your participation in course-related activities. During this interactive process, you will be given the opportunity to express a preference among possible accommodations and this stated preference should be considered. The campus shall make the final decision among several viable options for reasonable accommodation.
- Discuss what learning support services may be appropriate
- Determine what accommodations you are eligible to receive based upon your disability-related functional limitations. If for some reason you disagree with the approved accommodations, you may request reconsideration through the accommodation appeal process.
- Review other support services on campus
- Give you a tour of the Lower Library Learning Commons
The intake appointment will last approximately 1 hour.
Remember: You Must Meet with a Disability Counselor Each Semester to Set-Up Services