The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) is OPEN FALL 2016!!!
This fall the office is staffed by Jasmine Nunley as our new Administrative Support Coordinator. Jasmine is in the office from 8 am-12 pm and 1-5 pm, Monday through Friday. Her contact information is Jasmine.Nunley@humboldt.edu, ext. 4503.
Two faculty personnel are co-directing the Office this fall, and are available as follows:
Dr. Jennifer Eichstedt (Sociology): M-F, 8:30 am-12:00 pm
- Jennifer.Eichstedt@humboldt.edu, ext. 4526
Dr. Ramona Bell (CRGS): M-F, 1-5 pm
- Ramona.Bell@humboldt.edu, ext. 4504
We also have a great student assistant, Brooke Bicher. The extension for student assistants is 4527.
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is charged with developing policies for our campus that seek to institutionalize diversity as a core part of the HSU educational process and to overcome the historical and social inequities that continue to challenge students, faculty, and staff from underrepresented groups.
We also support cultural programs, educational experiences and professional development opportunities for students, staff, and faculty that works to deepen understanding across various groups, to advocate for social justice, and to improve the climate in classrooms and other institutional spaces.
FALL 2016 WORK FOR THE OFFICE OF DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
►Goal 1. Continue Program Diversity Grants
- ODI has a long history of providing diversity-related grants in two categories, which will continue to do for this academic year.
The HSU Diversity Program Grants are designed to raise awareness, deepen understanding, and/or engage the campus community in dialogue about one or more of the multiple dimensions of diversity. The HSU Faculty Diversity Development Grants are designed to help support HSU’s goal of creating a more inclusive and diverse campus community. ♦Proposal deadline for all grants is Thursday, November 3, 2016 ,at 5:00 pm.♦
►Goal 2. Develop Advisory Councils for ODI
- We will be developing two Advisory Councils for the Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI):
- ODI’s Student Advisory Council
- ODI’s Faculty, Staff, and Student Advisory Council
►Goal 3. Serve as a visible hub of information for diversity, equity and inclusion activities on campus
- Our goal is to create a single place online, that is linked to ODI, where campus members can go to find out about social justice, diversity, and inclusion related events. This is a developing project that we hope to have up and running by November.
►Goal 4: Be a visible presence on campus and in the larger community
- Through tabling and co-sponsoring multiple campus events, the Bias Education Initiative, participation in the community-wide Northcoast Equity Initiative being hosted by the Humboldt Area Foundation, and other activities, we will continue our outreach to University and community members.