An Online Certificate Program
offered at Humboldt State University
...this curious world which we inhabit
more wonderful than it is convenient;
more beautiful than it is useful;
it is more to be admired and enjoyed than used.
- Henry David Thoreau
This program is for those interested in careers in the rapidly growing field of ecological tourism.
Open to all with no prerequisites, this program offers an online course of instruction in the concept, principles, and practice of sustainable, ecology-based tourism. It is designed to be completed in one year, beginning in the fall.
These online courses are designed to develop a strong online community of learners through asynchronous classroom discussions between students and the instructor. Academic credit is optional, and available at an additional cost.
Upon completion of the program, students will understand the following:
- Global and national trends in tourism
- Principles of ecology-based tourism
- The sustainable tourism planning process
- The role of sustainable tourism in community development
- The role of environmental education and interpretation
- Sustainable architectural and site designs
- Principles of tour guiding and itinerary planning
- How to identify and to market the ecology-minded tourist