Humboldt State University

School of Education



When are orientation meetings for students interested in applying?

Dates for the secondary education, elementary education, and special education orientation meetings can be found here. If you are unable to attend, please contact the coordinator for the credential program you are interested in for more information.
(Back to top)

What are the School of Education’s Office hours? Which days is the office closed?

During the school year, The School of Education’s main office is open from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, August through June. Our office is closed for the entire month of July. Faculty and Staff mailboxes are located in HGH 211.

Due to campus holidays , we will be closed the following days in the 2014-2015 Academic Year:

  • Monday, Sept. 4, 2017 - Labor Day
  • Friday, Nov. 10, 2017 - Veterans’ Day
  • Thursday, Nov. 23, 2017 - Thanksgiving Day
  • Friday, Nov. 24, 2017 - Day after Thanksgiving
  • Monday, Dec. 25, 2017 - Christmas Day Observed
  • Tuesday. Dec. 26, 2017 - Admissions Day Observed
  • Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2017 - Columbus Day Observed
  • Thursday, Dec. 28, 2017 - Lincoln’s Birthday Observed
  • Friday, Dec. 29, 2017 - Washington’s Birthday Observed
  • Monday, Jan. 1, 2018 - New Year’s Day Observed
  • Monday, Jan. 15, 2018 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
  • Friday, March 30, 2018 - Cesar Chavez Day Observed
  • Monday, May 28, 2018 - Memorial Day  

(Back to top)

When are applications available and due?

Ordinarily, applications are available in September and due February 1 for admission the following fall for Secondary and Elementary Education. Special Education has rolling admissions, and you can apply later than that if needed. Please contact the Special Education Assistant Coordinator for further details at 707.826.5867. Please note: we do not accept new students for spring semester as coursework must be completed sequentially. New students are admitted fall semester only.
(Back to top)

How much is tuition?

Currently HSU tuition for a teacher credential program is around $8,000 per year for California residents (this is subject to change, depending on the university’s budget). This cost can very from year to year and semester to semester. Please see the Financial Aid’s cost estimates for the most up-to-date information.

For out-of-state applicants, please keep in mind that you cannot use the WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) tuition price break as you will be considered a post-baccalaureate or graduate student to be in a credential program.
(Back to top)

What scholarships are available?

Our scholarship webpage is located here. Scholarships can vary from year to year, so please check back in the spring before you enter the credential program to receive the most up-to-date information.
(Back to top)

What is the minimum length of the program?

Our elementary (multiple subject), secondary (single subject), and Special Education preliminary credential programs are two-semester programs. They begin in mid-August and end in mid-June. Please note: credential programs start BEFORE the regular HSU semester and end later. The Special Education Clear Credential program and the Administrative Services program offer a flexible length of program.
(Back to top)

When can I begin a basic credential program?

All of our basic credential programs (elementary, secondary, special education) begin every fall semester (no new admissions for spring semester). Educational Leadership (Administrative Services) and Special Education Credential programs begin fall semester. We cannot accept new students for spring semester as credential program coursework must be completed sequentially.
(Back to top)

Can I earn my teaching credential and be in the Master’s Program at the same time?

No. Generally speaking, to enter one of our Master’s programs, you need to have already earned your teaching credential. If you want to become a teacher and already have your bachelor’s degree, you would want to follow one of our post-graduate credential paths, then afterwards you can begin to pursue your Master’s in Education, if you so desire.
(Back to top)

What are the prerequisites for the credential programs?

Elementary, secondary, and special education programs have a preliminary education technology requirement. This requirement can be met by one of three options: (1) passing grade in EDUC 285 or an equivalent course, (2) pass the CSET for Preliminary Education Technology (or an approved equivalent, such as the Technology Exam at San Jose State), (3) complete a computer information systems major or minor.

Each program requires you to obtain a Certificate of Clearance from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. This includes Live Scan fingerprinting and and a background check. (See the application for the program of your choice for detailed instructions on how to apply for a Certificate of Clearance.)

All students in the credential programs must hold current certification in Adult, Infant, Child CPR (click on link for more information). CPR certification must be kept current through the entire school year, and online CPR courses are not acceptable.

The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing requires that teacher candidates have taken or tested out of a course on the US Constitution. HSU graduates and those who have a degree from a university in the CSU system will likely have completed this. For all others, please verify on your transcripts that you have completed this coursework. For more information, please contact the coordinator for the program you are interested in.

Elementary, Secondary, and Special Education all require that you have observed for 45 or more hours in a credentialed teacher’s classroom in a grade level that is applicable to the program you are interested in. You can arrange for your own placement through a local school or complete this requirement through coursework at a university (EED 210/310 for elementary grades or SED 210/410 for secondary grades).

Please also see each program’s application for additional specific requirements including required tests.

(Back to top)

Do you offer CSET Test Preparation Workshops?

Yes, we do offer test prep workshops for the Multiple Subjects CSET – the test needed for either Elementary or Special Education.

Test prep workshops are FREE and are especially helpful for those who have difficulty with Science and/or Math. To sign up for a test prep workshop or to inquire about the schedule,  contact the School of education (click to email). 

If you can’t attend a test prep workshop date, you may click here to view our CSET: Multiple Subjects Test Prep Power Point, brought to you by HSU’s Liberal Studies Elementary Education Program.

We generally do not offer test prep workshops for any of the Single Subject CSET Exams.

The CSET official website has test guides and practice questions that are helpful. They give a breakdown of what to expect on each subtest.
(Back to top)

What if I have a criminal conviction on my background check, can I still teach?

That depends on the sort of crime you were convicted of. To find out for sure whether or not your background would disqualify you from teaching, please contact the appropriate program’s coordinator ASAP for advice. For Elementary Education, contact Bryn Coriell at 707.826.5108. For Secondary Education, contact Anna Thaler Petersen at 707.826.5870. For Special Education, contact Peggy Kirkpatrick at 707.826.5795.
(Back to top)

I already had a Live Scan completed - do I need to get another one?

To observe, work, or volunteer in schools, students often complete a Live Scan to clear them to work with children. However, if you had a Live Scan completed through an employer or for a class at HSU or another university, you will need to complete the Certificate of Clearance Live Scan process if you will be in a credential program. By doing this, the results of your fingerprinting and background check are sent to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, and this is what you will need as a credential student. (Other Live Scans simply go to your employer or university and will not be sufficient.)

It’s important to follow all of the Certificate of Clearance steps outlined in your program’s application. If you are ever in doubt as to whether or not you already have a Certificate of Clearance or want to check if it’s complete, you can verify this on the CTC’s website here. Click on the link that says "Teaching credential holders and applicants." The new page that will open asks for your social security number and date of birth. After entering that information, your Certificate of Clearance information will be displayed if you have one. If you don’t have a Certificate of Clearance (or it is still being processed), the website will reply that no records are found. Please remember that the Certificate of Clearance process can take a few months, so it’s best to start early.

This video will help explain the application process:

(Back to top)

What is the required grade-point average for admission to credential programs?

An overall grade-point average (GPA) of 2.67 or 2.75 for the last 60 semester units (on a 4.0 scale) is required for regular admission. If your GPA falls short of the standard, you may file a low-GPA appeal with your application. For more information, visit the web page of the appropriate credential program. For applicants who have completed units as a graduate student, your graduate GPA needs to be a minimum of 3.0, and you need to maintain at least a 3.0 average throughout your post-baccalaureate studies here at HSU
(Back to top)

What are the test dates for CBEST and CSET, how can I register and get information?

Registering online is the recommended method. You will need a credit card to do this. Each website also has test information and often includes online practice questions and answers.
(Click on the name to go to the test web site.)
CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test) - 916.928.4001
CSET (California Subject Examinations for Teachers) - 916.928.4003
(Back to top)

How do I obtain an application to the credential program of my choice?

Applications are available for download at To download an application, go to the section for the program you are interested in (Special Education, Secondary Education, or Elementary Education), then look for the Application link on the left side navigation bar. In addition to submitting an application to a credential program, you must also submit a graduate application to HSU in order to be accepted by the university. This can be submitted online at Be sure to select the graduate application under list your objective as "teaching credential" in the program of your choice (EED, SED, SPED).

Secondary Education Applicants: Make sure you submit the necessary materials for the Subject Matter Departmental Review.
(Back to top)

Can I come to HSU and meet with an advisor?

You may contact the Education and Credentialing Office to arrange for advising in person or by telephone. 707.826.5867 or
(Back to top)

Can you briefly describe what I would be doing in a credential program?

Each semester you will have both credential program courses and experiences apprentice teaching in public schools. Our two-semester credential programs involve working full days Monday through Friday and completing coursework assignments and preparation for teaching outside of class time.
(Back to top)

Do you offer internships?

If you are interested in finding about internships for Secondary Education please contact Heather Ballinger, SED Coordinator.

Our other programs do not offer internships.

(Back to top)

What if I move out of state after getting my credential?

If you earn your California Teaching Credential and then move out of state, you will likely be able to get a credential in your new home state via a reciprocal agreement between California and the other state. (For more information on reciprocal agreements and to find out if your state has one with California, click here.) Often you’ll need to complete some extra coursework/exams (such as a state history course) within a set time frame; this varies from state to state, so you will need to contact your new state to find out their requirements.

You will also need to have an out-of-state verification form filled out by the university at which you earned your teaching credential. If you earned your credential at HSU, first get the form from your new state’s teacher credentialing department, and then send it to us here at the School of Education. The mailing address is:

HSU School of Education
Attn: Out-of-State Waivers
1 Harpst St.
Arcata, CA 95521

Our fax number is: 707-826-5868.

Please be sure to include your contact information with your request   in case we have questions about your form and need to reach you.
(Back to top)