woman on the beach



Department of Education

Secondary Education Credential Program

Working on Your Application?

Applications are due Feb 15th, 2012 or until cohort is filled!

The deadline has been extended, and we want to help!

You can contact the Fieldwork Coordinator:

Anna Thaler Petersen (click on name for email)

or by phone: (707)826-5870.

Great News!

HSU's Secondary Education Teacher Credentialing Program is now set up in a distance-accessible online hybrid format. What this means is that you can enroll in classes, complete fieldwork requirements, and interact with professors and university supervisors from anywhere in California, as long as you have easy access to reliable and high-speed Internet.

For videos explaining the application process, click here.

Why Teach?

As a teacher you can make a difference in the lives of young people in your community. Teaching is a rewarding career and well-qualified teachers are in demand!

Why Humboldt State?

The teacher preparation program at Humboldt State offers small class size, individual mentorship, and career outcomes. The graduation and employment rates of our students are among the highest in the country. A hallmark of our program is the considerable amount of time our students spend working in classrooms with mentor teachers and secondary students.

The Secondary Education Program:

The Secondary Education Credential Program is a one-year course of study that begins in the fall semester of each year. Students can obtain a Single Subject Preliminary Credential by taking a 35-unit professional education program to qualify for Secondary Education teaching positions primarily in grades 7-12.

Application Process

  • Review and complete the program's prerequisites and requirements. See the SED Admission Guide.
  • There are THREE required steps for Secondary Education application:
    • 1) Submit an application to HSU via the CSU Mentor Website. You will need to fill out a graudate application and select Single Subject Teaching Credential as your objective.
    • 2) Submit an application to the SED Program. Please note, this is a different application than the one for HSU. Applications can be downloaded online here. Be sure to include TWO copies of your application when you turn it in, and keep a copy for your own records.
    • 3) Submit your materials for the Subject Matter Departmental Review (SMDR). Each subject area has a different procedure. For more information, see the SMDR section of our website.

**Please note: All three of the above applications must be received by us (or postmarked, if mailed) by the February 15th deadline (or until cohort is filled) in order to be considered. (For instance, if you want to be in the 2012-2013 credential program, we would need to receive your application no later than February 15, 2012, or until cohort is filled.)


Meet our faculty and staff !


Adobe Reader Required for PDFsMicrosoft Word Required for .docs