teacher assisting student



Department of Education

Special Education Admission Requirements

Are you ready to enter Humboldt's Teacher Preparation Program?

  • Do you have (or will you soon have) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university?
  • Have you submitted a CSU post-baccalaureate application & official transcripts directly to HSU's Admissions Office? Your application will not be forwarded to the screening committee, nor will you be invited to the departmental interview phase, until Admissions receives your post-baccalaureate application.
  • Will your cumulative grade-point average (GPA) meet or exceed 2.67 or 2.75 on last 60 semester units (on a 4.0 scale)?
  • By the time you apply, will you be able to document at least 45 hours of early fieldwork (observation & participation) in one or more grade K-12 classrooms? You can meet this requirement through HSU's courses (EED 210, 310, SED 210, 410 or PS 791), through a comparable course at some other university, or through privately arranged experiences (approved by the coordinator) in accredited schools with credentialed teachers.
  • Have you passed all three sections of the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test)? Candidates who pass all three subtests of CSET: Multiple Subjects Exam AND the CSET: Writing Skills Test will be considered proficient in the basic skills of reading, writing, and mathematics and will not be required to take the CBEST to earn a teaching credential. *If you took the EAP or the CSU English and Math Placement Exams, you may have already fulfilled this requirement and will not need to take the CBEST. Click here for more information on using college placement test scores to meet the basic skills requirement.
  • Have you passed all subtests of the CSET Multiple Subjects, English, Math, or Science exam? Or have you completed an approved major in English, Math, or Science? If you'd like some help preparing for the CSET, we offer test prep workshops FREE here at HSU! Click here for details and dates.
  • Have you passed EDUC 285: Technology Skills for Educators, or passed the CSET: Preliminary Education Technology Exam, or an equivalent course at another university?
  • Community CPR card recommended (adult, infant, and child CPR taken at an in-person class -- click here for details).

If you can answer YES to these questions, you are ready to submit an application for admission to the Special Education credential program. (Please note: This is in addition to your application to HSU as a post-baccalaureate student, which you complete online at http://www.csumentor.org. For HSU's application, make sure you fill out the Graduate Admission Application.)

Constitution Requirement

California requires a basic U.S. Constitution course (at HSU, either PSCI 110, 210, 359, or 410) or a passing score on the U.S. Constitution Test scheduled by the Testing Center at HSU or a County Office of Education. Most CSU graduates have met this requirement.

Competency Assessment

In compliance with the California State University Executive Order 896, Special Education applicants must demonstrate subject-matter competency before they are accepted into the special education credential program. You must pass one of the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET), Multiple Subjects, English, Math, or Science or complete an undergraduate major in English Math or Science approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

Liability Insurance

Local school districts require that you show proof of at least $200,000 professional liability insurance to our office.  Candidates are provided this insurance as part of their enrollment in the credential program.


Certificate of Clearance

Obtain a Certificate of Clearance through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (except for those applicants who have a teaching credential or an emergency credential). Live Scan and forms (included in the application packet) should be sent directly to CCTC with the appropriate fee. The state requires a certificate of clearance must be filed with CCTC before you begin student teaching.


Effective January 1, 2000, California Education Code 44283 requires that candidates applying for initial Preliminary Education Specialist Credential pass the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA). This is an exit requirement.


$55 CSU application fee
$222 CSET
$20 Liability Insurance (included as class fee)
$83.50 Certificate of Clearance ($27.50 rolls over toward credential fee)
$57 Credential Fee
$140 RICA exam (taken during program)
$5,814 Tuition (subject to change, see Financial Aid for more information)
$30 Credential Check Fee


Adobe Reader Required for PDFsMicrosoft Word Required for .docs