Secondary Education Deadlines
The application deadline for the Secondary Education Program is February 1 for admission for the following fall semester.
On or before February 1:
- Apply to the SED Program
- 2) Apply to HSU as graduate student
- Application for Certificate of Clearance to California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC)
- 45 hours of fieldwork complete. If you have questions about fieldwork hours or want to verify that your hours will be accepted, please contact Anna Thaler Petersen, the SED Coordinator, at 707.826.5870 before you submit your application.
Before the beginning of the SED program in early August:
- Pass CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills) on or before the June test date. It is also possible to use certain college placement exam scores to waive this requirement.
- Applicants who do not hold a CTC-approved degree with an education emphasis major must pass the CSET (California Subject Evaluation of Teachers) on or before the May test date in the specific subject of the desired credential.
- Complete Level 1 Computer Competency (EDUC 285 at HSU, a comparable course at another university, or take the CSET: Preliminary Educational Technology Exam).
- Complete a course that addresses the US Constitution or pass the US Constitution test. CSU-system graduates will likely have met this requirement.
- CPR certification (must have adult, infant, and child and cannot be an online class). Please note, CPR certification must be current throughout the program’s duration. If you are getting a one-year CPR card through the American Red Cross, it is best to complete your CPR training in July or early August before the program starts.