Humboldt State University

School of Education

Special Education Admissions Requirements

Are you ready to enter Humboldt’s Teacher Preparation Program?

  • Do you have (or will you soon have) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university?
  • Have you submitted a CSU post-baccalaureate application & official transcripts?
  • Will your cumulative grade-point average (GPA) meet or exceed 2.67 or 2.75 on last 60 semester units (on a 4.0 scale)?
  • By the time you apply, will you be able to document at least 45 hours of early fieldwork (observation & participation) in one or more grade K-12 classrooms? You can meet this requirement through HSU’s courses (EED 210, 310, SED 210, 410 or PS 791), through a comparable course at some other university, or through privately arranged experiences (approved by the coordinator) in accredited schools with credentialed teachers.
  • Have you passed the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test)? Candidates who pass all three subtests of CSET: Multiple Subjects Exam AND the CSET: Writing Skills Test will be considered proficient in the basic skills of reading, writing, and mathematics and will not be required to take the CBEST to earn a teaching credential. *If you took the EAP or the CSU English and Math Placement Exams, you may have already fulfilled this requirement and will not need to take the CBEST. Click here for more information on using college placement test scores to meet the basic skills requirement.
  • Have you passed all subtests of the CSET Multiple Subjects, or Single Subjects exam? Or have you completed an approved major in English, Math, or Science?
  • Have you passed EDUC 285: Technology Skills for Educators, or passed the CSET: Preliminary Education Technology Exam, or an equivalent course at another university?
  • Community CPR card recommended (adult, infant, and child CPR taken at an in-person class—click here for details).

If you can answer YES to these questions, you are ready to submit an application for admission to the Special Education credential program. (Please note: This is in addition to your application to HSU as a post-baccalaureate student, which you complete online.

Constitution Requirement

California requires a basic U.S. Constitution course (at HSU, either PSCI 110, 210, 359, or 410) or a passing score on the U.S. Constitution Test scheduled by the Testing Center at HSU or a County Office of Education. Most CSU graduates have met this requirement.

Certificate of Clearance

Obtain a Certificate of Clearance through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (except for those applicants who have a teaching credential or an emergency credential). Live Scan and forms (included in the application packet) should be sent directly to CCTC with the appropriate fee. The state requires a certificate of clearance must be filed with CCTC before you begin student teaching.


Effective January 1, 2000, California Education Code 44283 requires that candidates applying for initial Preliminary Education Specialist Credential pass the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA). This is an exit requirement.