Applying for the graduate program

The process of applying for graduate studies in the Energy Technology and Policy (ETaP) or the Environmental Resources Engineering (ERE) program is a multi-step process as described below. 


1) Complete the California State University Graduate Application online at CSU Mentor. A $55.00 application fee is required at time of application.

2) Arrange to have an official report of your GRE scores sent to: Office of Admissions (address below) You must also include the following code:

Institution Code for Humboldt State University: 4345

3) Contact ALL previous colleges that you have attended and your current college and arrange for each of them to send an OFFICIAL transcript to: Office of Admissions (address below)

4) Send a listing of courses in progress and any other courses to be taken prior to entering any graduate program to: Environmental Systems Graduate Program (address below)

5) Send a detailed Statement of Purpose to: Environmental Systems Graduate Program (address below). Your statement should (a) identify the option to which you are applying (ERE or ETaP); (b) express your reasons for pursuing a MS degree; and (c) identify potential research areas and mentor(s) that are of interest to you. The statement of purpose should be approximately 500 words in length.

6) Send a resume of your work experience to: Environmental Systems Graduate Program (address below)

7) Have three letters of recommendations submitted online via CSU Mentor. At least one of these letters (and preferrably two or three) should be from a former university instructor who may judge your promise as a graduate student.

ADDRESSES for sending application materials listed above:

Environmental Systems Graduate Program - INDICATE OPTION HERE (ERE or ETaP) 
Humboldt State University 
1 Harpst Street 
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
cnrsmast [at] humboldt [dot] edu

Humboldt State University 
Office of Graduate Admissions 
1 Harpst Street 
Arcata, CA 95521-8299

NOTE: If you are an international student applicant, please visit the Graduate Application Process page for information about how to apply. Please note that most international students must submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores. However, this requirement may be waived in cases where the applicant has a prior degree from a university where English was the primary language of instruction. Scores from the TOEFL test and the other material indicated at the site should be submitted to:

International Student Admissions
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst St.
Arcata, CA 95521-8299

Additional information for graduate student applications can be found on the International Graduate Information page.

Deadlines for Submission of Application Materials

All application materials should be submitted during the appropriate initial application filing period.

Fall Semester Admission

October 1 to February 1 (i.e. February 1 deadline). We strongly encourage applicants to submit materials not later than January 15, and applications should be fully complete by February 1.

Applications submitted after the filing period may be considered on a first-come, first-served basis according to space availability. A late completion fee (currently $25) may be imposed.

The ERE and ETaP graduate programs generally do not accept applications for spring semester admission, although exceptions may rarely be considered on a case by case basis. In cases that an application for spring semester admission is considered for review, the due date for all application materials is August 31. 

Financial Resources for Graduate Students

Many graduate students in the ETaP and ERE programs receive financial support. See the Financial Resources page for additional information.

How to Apply

Ready to apply to a Master's degree program in Engineering? Go to our Applying section and find step-by-step instructions.

Environmental Resources Engineering
1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521
Contact Us