ERE Program Changes Effective Fall 2014: Important Info for All Majors

Beginning with Fall 2014, the ERE major will be reduced by 10 units—from 130 units to 120 units. The courses, comprising 9 of the 10 units, that you will no longer be required to take are the following:

1.    COMM 100 – the technical communications included in courses within the ERE major will count towards COMM 100.

2.    An Area D lower division course that is not one of the Institutions requirements (HIST110 or HIST 111 and PSCI 110 or PSCI 210)
This means that your two Institutions requirement courses (US History and US & California government) meet all of the lower division Area D units an ERE major needs to take.

3.    PHYX 315 – PHYX 315 is no longer required, but it can be used to satisfy your upper division science elective requirement. PHYX 315 will remain as a prerequisite course for ENGR 475 – Renewable Energy Power Systems.

The final unit in the 10-unit reduction is modification of ENGR 313-Systems Analysis from a 4-unit to a 3-unit course. The new version of ENGR 313 will be taught with two lectures per week and one lab session, similar to most other ERE courses.

Although these changes become effective officially for students who enter HSU in Fall 2014 or later, the two changes related to ERE major requirements (the PHYX 315 and ENGR 313 changes) have been approved for all ERE students, even if you entered HSU prior to Fall 2014. However, your GE requirements are determined by your individual Catalog Year, generally the year you entered HSU. You should plan to complete the GE requirements in effect during your entry year, or discuss options for changing your Catalog Year with your ERE advisor.

Margaret Lang  PhD, PE
Professor, Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University
Arcata, CA  95521
phone: 707-826-3613

How to Apply

So environmental resources engineering sounds interesting, but you are still not sure if HSU is right for you? Explore what HSU has to offer to both freshman and transfer students.


For paperwork and forms such as major and minor contracts, course planning guides, semester schedules, course rotations, office hours and more, visit our forms page!