Students interested in the blended BA+MA program in Applied English Studies should seek advising from the graduate coordinator during their first semester at HSU.
- completed 60 undergraduate units, including at least 4 required courses in the major
- application form
- 3 current recommendation letters from professors
- statement of your intellectual interests and how they fit with HSU’s blended BA+MA program in Applied English Studies (500 words)
- 6 to 10-page analytical essay as writing sample from English course or related discipline
- transcripts from all colleges you have attended
All application materials should be submitted to Teri Bronder-Lewis, the English Department’s Academic Support Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at Founders Hall 201.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required. Ideally, your English professors (and/or college instructors in related fields) who know your current academic performance, qualifications, abilities, and goals well are best suited to write these letters. It is your responsibility to make sure that your referees submit letters on your behalf.
Statement of Intellectual Interests and Program Fit
Before composing your statement, please consult the following resource for information about the genre of the “Personal Statement for Graduate Programs in the Humanities”: https://twp.duke.edu/sites/twp.duke.edu/files/file-attachments/personal-...
Write a 500-word essay in which you respond to both of the following prompts:
- Discuss the experiences, ideas, readings, and/or projects that have shaped your personal and intellectual development.
- Discuss your academic research interests, and explain how the blended BA+MA program in Applied English Studies at Humboldt State University matches these interests and career goals.
Provide a representative sample (6 to 10 pages) of your best academic writing, ideally in a discipline relevant to English studies (e.g. literature, linguistics, writing, film studies, gender studies, interdisciplinary humanities). Your sample should reflect your ability to analyze and synthesize. If possible, choose writing that demonstrates your preparation to pursue an advanced degree in English.
Note: All materials become the property of the English Department at Humboldt State University and will not be returned.
Applications for the 5-Year blended BA+MA program in English are accepted twice a year: February 1 and September 1. Applications must be complete to receive consideration.
A faculty committee evaluates applications to the blended program. Admission is based on prior academic performance and other measures of academic excellence.
After applying: Once you have submitted your complete application and all supplemental documents have been received, you should expect to hear back about the status of your application within three weeks.