HSU homepage


The English department is proud to offer two $1000 scholarships per academic year. To be eligible, students must be a declared English major, have a GPA of 2.5 or above, demonstrate financial need (based on FAFSA application), and write an essay about how you will use your degree in English. Please go to https://humboldt.academicworks.com/opportunities/2987 to apply.
Travel funding awards are available for currently enrolled English majors and graduate students only. The English Department awards up to $250 for student travel. To be eligible, students must be presenting at a conference or professional meeting.  There are three undergraduate and three graduate awards for this amount available each academic year. Each student is eligible for one award per year.
It’s optimal to apply to other funding sources within Humboldt State University, such as the President’s Office; College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (CAHSS) travel funding (application released in early fall); Associated Students; Clubs and Activities; and other organizations relevant to your work. Also remember to check the conference website to see if student funding is available through the conference organization.
The deadline for submission is November 1 of each year.  This deadline applies no matter when the travel takes place in a given academic year. Academic years begin July 1 and end on June 30. Notifications will be sent before the November fall break. 
Select MA students have the opportunity to work as Graduate Teaching Associates in the English department under the leadership of the Writing Program Director. Graduate Teaching Associates teach first-year writing: English 104 Accelerated Composition and Rhetoric. If selected as a Graduate Teaching Associate, you will be required to attend a 1.5 day pre-semester teaching workshop during the week prior to fall semester and enroll in ENGL 581 for 3 units during your first semester teaching. Contingent on the availability of funds and student eligibility (as determined by financial aid awards), select Graduate Teaching Associates may receive a tuition waiver during one or more semester(s) they are teaching.  We solicit applications February 1 and conduct interviews for potential Graduate Teaching Associates in February and March of the semester prior to teaching.  To find out how to apply for a GTA position, please refer to How to Apply to the MA in English.  For further information, please contact Prof. Lisa Tremain, Writing Program Director, at lisa.tremain@humboldt.edu.  
Graduate students are encouraged to work as Writing Fellows in our Writing in the Disciplines Seminar (English 215). Qualified applicants may become paid Writing Fellows. Successfully completing one semester of English 450 Tutoring Developing Writers is a prerequisite for all paid fellow positions. For more information about becoming a Writing Fellow, please contact Prof. Lisa Tremain, Writing Program Director, at lisa.tremain@humboldt.edu.  
To find out about additional employment and internship opportunities for MA in English students, please visit Funding and Internships for MA in English.