Humboldt State University

Placement Information

At Humboldt State University, Directed Self-Placement (DSP) is the process by which students choose an appropriate English composition course that meets the mandatory written-communication category* of the General Education requirements. To learn more about DSP, please visit our FAQs.

In order to register for your written communication course, you need to:

  1. Acquaint yourself with English 102&103 and English 104 described on our Courses Offered page
  2. Take the Directed Self-Placement Survey, which is now part of the HOP Registration in Moodle**
  3. Log into myHumboldt and register for your chosen course in Student Center

Note: Since English 102&103 is a two-semester sequence, we encourage students who choose this option to begin this sequence as soon as possible. If there are no seats available in your preferred course, please contact Interim Composition Director Mary Ann Creadon to discuss your options as soon as possible.

*Information about exemption written-communication requirements can be found in the following section of the HSU Catalog: Admission Information: “Placement/Proficiency Tests.” Please note that, although students may take an additional English Placement Test (EPT), this does not substitute for the DSP survey.

**If you are unable to access DSP through your HOP Registration Guide, please contact Interim Composition Director Mary Ann Creadon