Humboldt State University

Teaching Language Arts

  • Take All Four Core Courses
    English 120: Introduction to the Major
    English 220: Literature, Identity, Representation
    English 225: Introduction to Language Analysis
    English 320: Practical Criticism


  • Take All of the Following Courses
    English 230 or 231: Survey of British Literature
    English 232: Survey of American Literature
    English 240: World Literature
    English 328: Structure of American English
    English 336: American Ethnic Literature
    English 342: Special Topics in Shakespeare
    English 344: Young Adult Literature
    English 406: Theory of Composition
    English 426: Communication in Writing II
    English 435: Issues in ESL/EFL


  • Take Twelve Units from One of the Following Extended Study Options
    • Literature and Language
      English 325: History of English Language
      English 350: British Literature
      English 420: Advanced Topics in Critical Theory


    • Creative Writing
      English 311: Environmental Writing
      English 314: Creative Writing: Nonfiction Writing Workshop*
      English 422: Advanced Research Writing
      *ENGL 205 a pre-requisite

    • Language Acquisition and Development
      English 417: Second-Language Acquisition *
      English 436: Integrating Language & Content in English  **
      Six semester units of a second language taken at a university or at an intensive language program.
      * English 328 must be taken concurrently with or before 417
      ** English 435 must be taken before 436


  • Take English 490 (Senior Portfolio Seminar) and Submit a Passing Senior Portfolio

NEW: Required to Apply for a California Credential Program:
SED 210/410: Early Fieldwork Experience in Schools / Observation and Participation.

Students who complete the core courses and the Cross-Cultural Language and Academic Development Depth Option will have completed the coursework required for a minor in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) and the coursework required by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing for a Cross-Cultural Language and Academic Development (CLAD) Certificate.  This certificate is awarded by the Commission after obtaining a basic California teaching certificate. Students must apply for the TESL minor using the Minor Declaration form from the Registrar's Office.