The English Department fosters
- a broad knowledge of literatures and cultures in English;
- an aesthetic appreciation of language and literature;
- a sophisticated habit of engaging texts;
- an understanding of problems, trends and methods of literary, linguistic and cultural analysis;
- and the ability to pose questions in productive and original ways.
We prepare our students to be thoughtful and caring participants of their communities, capable of thinking critically, communicating clearly, and acting compassionately in a diverse and challenging world.