Skip links and go to content
Humboldt State University
Founders Hall, Humboldt State University description Humboldt State University Library Woman walking in Arcata Marsh Blooming red rhododendrons View from top of campus
Humboldt State University was established in 1913.


University classes -- open to everyone

  • Develop professional and personal skills
  • Explore academic interests
  • Fulfill prerequisites for a future degree

Open University provides an opportunity for those who are not currently admitted to Humboldt State University to enroll in university courses in the fall and spring through Extended Education.

The Open University program allows enrollment in HSU credit-bearing classes, provided that there is space available and prerequisites are fulfilled.

HSU has many options to meet your professional goals. See the complete HSU schedule of classes.

The registration process is easy. Admission to the University is not required, and the same fees apply to everyone.

Please note that Extended Education can't guarantee you a space nor assure you will be permitted to enroll in any class. Instructor and department chair approval is required, even if space is available.

Open University is NOT available to matriculated students (those admitted for the current semester).

Open University courses taken through Extended Education will count in Undergraduate/Graduate units earned, grade point average and residence credit.

A maximum of 24 semester units in Open University earned through Extended Education in non-matriculated status may be applied toward a bachelor's degree, and not more than eight units may apply to the master's degree.

Easy Steps to Register

Open University registration will begin one week prior to the beginning of the term.

  1. Select the courses you want from the sample listing in the Extended Education bulletin or the regular HSU Schedule of Classes.
  2. Download, print and fill out the REGISTRATION FORM (PDF). (PDFs require the free Adobe Reader) You may also obtain a form at the Extended Education office (SBS 211), or get one mailed to you by calling 826-3731.
  3. Contact the instructor and department chair to obtain permission to take the course. You may also attend the first class meeting and acquire the instructor's and department chair's signatures. Registration is on a space-available basis.
  4. Return your signed form (e-mail or hard copy) to Extended Education and pay your fees by the semester registration deadline. See deadlines.

NOTE: Registration procedures differ for the following programs:


The College of Extended Education & Global Engagement can accept payment by check, money order, cash or credit card. Please make all checks or money orders payable to Humboldt State University.

Full payment of fees is required at the time of registration.

NOTE: Instructors may exclude a student from attending courses if the student cannot provide proof of registration for the course.



VISA, Mastercard and Discover are accepted for payment

Open University fees are subject to revision.

Some courses may also require an individual course fee, as indicated in the schedule of classes.


Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint this webpageGet a PDF version of this webpageSave a PDF of this webpage