Skip links and go to content
Humboldt State University
Founders Hall, Humboldt State University description Humboldt State University Library Woman walking in Arcata Marsh Blooming red rhododendrons View from top of campus
Humboldt State University was established in 1913.


Take HSU classes at a reduced rate in the Over 60 Program

If you are age 60 or older and a California resident, you are invited to participate in the Humboldt State University Over 60 Program during the fall and spring semesters. You must be a current resident of California, and have lived in California for at least one year.

The CSU system accepts only non-matriculated new students in the Over 60 Program. (If you are a continuing matriculated Over 60 Program student, you may continue in the program until you complete your degree.)

The Over 60 program does not accept students for summer session. This information applies to fall and spring semesters only.

Cost and services available through the Over 60 Program are subject to change without notice.


The fee is $57/semester (fall and spring only). Participants may take up to 6 units per semester. If you are a new student, you must pay an additional $5 fee for an HSU ID Card.


Over 60 Program participants are among the last to register in any given term; therefore, you cannot sign up for a class until the first day of the semester.

You may select the courses you are interested in taking by using the online class schedule.

The Over 60 Program fees only apply to regular University courses –- they do not apply to eLearning & Extended Education courses or OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute). You must pay the fees for these courses separately and in full.

Non-matriculated Over 60 Students

Non-matriculated students are those who have not been admitted into a degree program.

Non-matriculated Over 60 students should complete a registration form from the College of eLearning & Extended Education.

On this form, you must obtain the signatures of the course instructor and department approval for each course.

You should then bring the form to the College of eLearning & Extended Education, where you will complete the registration process including fee payment. You may pay with cash, check, VISA, MasterCard or Discover. The College of eLearning & Extended Education is located on the second floor of the Student and Business Services building, in suite 211, and is open 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday.

For courses that last the entire semester, you should complete your registration within the first two weeks of the semester.

Matriculated Over 60 Students

New matriculated students (those who have been admitted into a degree program) are no longer accepted into the Over 60 Program. However, matriculated Over 60 students will be allowed to continue in the Over 60 Program until completion of their degree. They will pay the current fee and be limited to 6 units per semester (fall and spring only).

Matriculated Over 60 students taking more than 6 units will be required to pay regular student fees for the additional units. These students will be contacted by the Office of the Registrar.


General Information about the Over 60 Program

Credit/No Credit/Audit:

Classes are available on a “credit/no credit” or letter grade. You can also choose to “audit” the class. Credit/no credit grading mode should be selected when you register for a class. Auditing requires a special form approved by the instructor for each class to be audited. This form is available in the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133. [This information is subject to change]

Dropping/Adding a Class:

If you wish to add a class, or decide to stop going to class during a semester, you must do so prior to the deadline published in the Extension bulletin or go to Dates to Remember.

ID Card & Library:

As a participant in the Over 60 Program, you are entitled to HSU library privileges with the use of your student ID Card.

If you are a new student and include $5 for an HSU ID card in your fees to the College of eLearning & Extended Education, you will be mailed a receipt for both.

Your name and HSU ID number will be provided to the HSU library.

New students need to make arrangements at the HSU library for having a picture taken for the ID.

ID Card photos are taken in the HSU library (Fall/Spring, subject to change):
Monday-Thursday: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. or by appointment by calling 826-5601.

Refund Policy:

Please read the refund policy in the Extension bulletin or go to Drops and Refunds.


Transportation Services:

The Jack Pass provides unlimited access to buses of the Arcata and Mad River Transit System, the Redwood Transit System and the Eureka Transit System. It is available with a current HSU ID and the payment of a $60 fee. This fee is paid at the Student Financial Services office located on the second floor of the Student Business Services building.

When you pay this fee, you will receive a receipt and your information will be electronically given to the bus company. It is wise to keep the receipt in case it takes a couple of days for the bus company to upload the information.

Other Privileges:

Those enrolled in the Over 60 Program through eLearning & Extended Education will also be entitled to HSU computer lab privileges, educationally-priced hardware and software from the HSU Bookstore, and discounted admission to HSU athletic events.

Also, Over 60 students may gain access to the HSU Student Recreation Center for $48/semester. Payment is accepted directly at the Student Recreation Center. Therafter, these privileges will be available when you show your HSU ID card.

Emergency Services:

Health benefits are not available to students in the Over 60 Program. Emergency services are available at the Student Health Center: 826-3146 or by calling 911.


Parking Permits:

Before you buy a permit, estimate how many times you class will meet. Compare that to a semester parking permit price and to the cost of parking at a meter. You might save money by purchasing one-day permits or parking at a meter.

To get more information about parking, go the Parking and Commuter Services website.

More Questions?

If you have questions regarding the Over 60 Program, please contact the College of eLearning & Extended Education, call (707) 826-3731, or e-mail.

Cost and services available through the Over 60 Program are subject to change without notice.


Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint this webpageGet a PDF version of this webpageSave a PDF of this webpage