How Do We Pay For College?

What's best for your family?

Sources of Funding
  • Free Application for Student Aid : Access to federal and state grants, work study and federal loans.
  • Scholarships:
    • HSU: Apply through our scholarship management system starting January 1st. Click on the Scholarships button on your myHumboldt portal to get started!
    • Google: Search for "Free Scholarship Search"
  • Savings accounts? 529 plans? Home equity loans? Family?
Payment Plans
Budget Your Year
Avoid Unnecessary Debt
  • Stick to the four year plan – see details in the HSU catalog, and the Major Academic Plan (MAP) for your major
  • Decline loans you don’t need (you can always reapply later)
  • Live like a student

Parent Loans

Federal Direct PLUS Loans – are loans for the parents of dependent students (for students who are considered dependent for Title IV financial aid purposes). The parent is responsible for the loan repayment. Parents who do not have an adverse credit history may borrow up to the total cost of the student's education, minus any other aid received by the student. Payments begin within 60 days of the award year's last PLUS disbursement, or parents may choose to defer payments on the Direct PLUS Loan until six months after the date the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time; may pay accruing interest monthly or quarterly, or allow interest to be capitalized quarterly.

Apply for Parent PLUS loans online