There are two choices to submit the required information. You may either use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA website or order a tax return transcript from the IRS.

If you filed head of household, married filing separately or filed an amended tax return you will have to use Choice 2 below.

Choice 1: IRS Data Retrieval Tool

  1. Log back onto your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at to make a correction.
  2. Utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool under the “Financial Information” tab of the FAFSA. Note: Be sure to change your tax filing status to “Already Completed” and follow the instructions from the “view option to link to the IRS”. Your name and address must match exactly what is on the federal tax return. Your tax return must be processed and taxes owed must be paid to date.
  3. You must “click” the box to transfer the information from the IRS website to the FAFSA to make the corrections.
  4. You will need to submit the changes on the FAFSA by re-signing with student’s federal PIN and/or parent PIN if applicable by navigating to “sign & submit” at the end of your FAFSA.

Choice 2:  IRS Tax Return Transcript

  1. Contact the IRS to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript - or call 1-800-908-9946. Be sure to ask for a tax return transcript. If you filed an amended tax return, you must submit a tax return transcript and a signed 1040X form.