Types of Aid

There are four basic types of financial aid: scholarships, grants, work-study, and loans. Most of these programs are applied for by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the CA DREAM Act Application for eligible AB-540 students; if a program requires supplemental forms, it will be noted below.


Grants are funds made available by the federal and state governments and universities based on a student's financial need and, like scholarships, do not need to be repaid. By filing the FAFSA, you are automatically considered for grants.
» Grants


Scholarship opportunities are a great way to fund your education at Humboldt State University and are available to a range of students from all backgrounds.

You are able to apply for HSU scholarships for the 2017-18 Academic Year using the online scholarship system - the deadline is March 2.

» Scholarships

Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a financial aid program that allows you to work on campus, or in the community, to earn money to meet your educational costs. If you have been awarded Work Study, it will be indicated on your Financial Aid Award Notification.
» Work Study


A variety of loans are available to HSU students and their parents. All loan funds must be repaid and the interest rate will vary depending on the type of loan you receive.
» Loans