Eric P. Bjorkstedt, Adjunct Professor
Email: Eric.Bjorkstedt@noaa.gov Phone: 707-826-3688 Office: Telonicher Marine Laboratory, Room 116A
- Honors B.A. Biological Sciences and English, 1992, University of Delaware
- Ph.D. Biological Sciences, 1998, Stanford University
Courses taught at HSU
- FISH 478/578 Fisheries Oceanography
Current Research Interests
- Fisheries oceanography, especially of the California Current and northern Pacific Ocean
- Effects of climate change and ocean acidification on marine organisms, populations, and ecosystems
- Ecological and physical processes affecting recruitment and population structure of marine fishes and invertebrates
- Population and metapopulation dynamics of anadromous and marine fishes
- Life history evolution and behavioral ecology of marine and anadromous fishes, particularly early life history stages
- Application of remote sensing and GIS in ecological study of marine systems
- Theoretical and statistical ecology
Recent HSU MS Theses
- Crane, Kathryn E. 2014. Environmental effects on growth of early life history stages of rockfishes (Sebastes) off Central California based on analysis of otolith growth patterns.
- Bjorkstedt, E.P. and W.T. Peterson. 2015. Zooplankton data from high-frequency coastal transects: enriching the contributions of ocean observing systems to ecosystem-based management in the northern California Current. pages 119-142 in Y. Liu, H. Kerkering, and R. H. Weisberg (eds.) Coastal Ocean Observing Systems: Advances and Syntheses. Elsevier.
- Bjorkstedt, E. P., J. Field, M. Love, L. Rogers-Bennett, R. Starr. 2015. California's marine fisheries: tradeoffs in transition. pages 779-815 in E. Zavaleta and H. Mooney (eds.) Ecosystems of California, UC Press.
- Sakuma, K. M., E. P. Bjorkstedt, S. Ralston. 2013. Distribution of young-of-the-year rockfish (Sebastes spp.) in relation to temperature and fronts off central California. CalCOFI Reports 54: 167-179. 2013
- Garwood, R. S., T. J. Mulligan, and E. P. Bjorkstedt. 2013. Ichthyological Assemblage and Variation in a Northern California Zostera marina Eelgrass Bed. Northwestern Naturalist, 94(1), 35-50. 2013
- Bjorkstedt, E.P., and 39 others. 2012. State of the California Current 2011-2012: Ecosystems respond to local forcing as La Niña wavers and wanes. CalCOFI Reports 53: 41-76. (See also "State of the California Current" papers in CalCOFI Reports from 2008 to present)
- Duffy, W. G., E. P. Bjorkstedt, and C.S. Ellis. 2011. Predation on juvenile salmon (Oncorhynchus spp.) in downstream migrant traps. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 31: 151-164. 2011.
- Spence, B. C., E. P. Bjorkstedt, J. C. Garza, J. J. Smith, D. G. Hankin, D. Fuller, W. E. Jones, R. Macedo, T. H. Williams, E. Mora. 2008. A framework for assessing the viability of threatened and endangered salmon and steelhead in the North-Central California Coast Recovery Domain. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SWFSC-423. 173 p.
- Bonine, K. M., E. P. Bjorkstedt, K.C. Ewel, M. Palik. 2008. Population characteristics of the mangrove crab Scylla serrata (Decapoda: Portunidae) in Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia: Effects of harvest and implications for management. Pacific Science 62: 1-19.
- Armsworth, P. R., C. V. Kappel, F. Micheli, and E. P. Bjorkstedt. 2006. Marine species. In: D. D. Goble, J. M. Scott, and F. W. Davis (eds.), The Endangered Species Act at thirty, vol. 1: Renewing the conservation promise, p. 36-44. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- Armsworth, P. R., C. V. Kappel, F. Micheli, and E. P. Bjorkstedt. 2006. Working seascapes. In: J. M. Scott, D. D. Goble, and F. W. Davis (eds.), The Endangered Species Act at thirty, vol. 2: Conserving biodiversity in human-dominated landscapes, p. 244-255. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- Bjorkstedt, E. P., B. C. Spence, J. C. Garza, D. G. Hankin, D. Fuller, W. E. Jones, J. J. Smith, and R. Macedo. 2005. An analysis of historical population structure for evolutionarily significant units of Chinook salmon, coho salmon, and steelhead in the North-Central California Coast Recovery Domain. U. S. Dept. Commer., NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SWFSC-382. 210 pp.
- Bjorkstedt E. P. 2005. DARR 2.0: updated software for estimating abundance from stratified mark-recapture data. U.S. Depart. Commer., NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SWFSC-368, 13 p.
- Bjorkstedt E. P., L. K. Rosenfeld, B. A. Grantham, Y. Shkedy, and J. Roughgarden. 2002. Distributions of larval rockfish (Sebastes spp.) across nearshore fronts in a coastal upwelling region. Marine Ecology Progress Series 242: 215-228.
- Bjorkstedt E. P. 2000. Stock-recruitment relationships for life cycles that exhibit concurrent density dependence. Canadian Journal of Fishery and Aquatic Sciences 57(2): 459-467.
- McElhany P., Ruckelshaus M., Ford M. J., Wainwright T., Bjorkstedt E. P. 2000. Viable Salmonid Populations and the Recovery of Evolutionarily Significant Units. U.S. Depart. Commer., NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-42, 156 p.