Immunization Information for New Students

The California State University requires that:

All students born on or after January 1, 1957 show proof of full immunization against Measles and Rubella.

Full immunization means two doses of measles/rubella vaccine received after one year of age. Usually these immunizations are combined into one injection (MMR-Measles/Mumps/Rubella or MR-Measles/ Rubella. If you cannot locate records of both doses, but are certain you received your first dose at or after 12 months of age, and your K-12 schooling was in California, we will provide the immunization at minimal cost or accept evidence of one immunization given after age 4, and after 1980 and presume this represents your second dose.

Hepatitis B (applies to students who are 18 or younger on 1st day of classes)

All students who are 18 years of age or younger on the first day of classes of their first semester must be immunized against Hepatitis B. The Hepatitis B vaccine is given in three doses over a period of 4-6 months.

Meningitis Vaccine, though not required, is highly recommended to have this prior to living in the residence halls.

Varicella Vaccine, though not required, a second dose of chicken pox vaccine is highly recommended for those who have had one dose of vaccine and have not had chicken pox disease.

Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, adult Pertussis) - not required, but students are urged to get this vaccine when their next tetanus shot is due in order to boost immunity to Pertussis (whooping cough).

How to Submit Immunization Records

This is a two step process as described below.

1. Fill out the form through the Secure Message Portal*

(*Please note: the Health Center's Secure Message Portal is not to be confused with the Campus Portal - these are two separate systems.)

Click on Secure Message Portal and follow these directions to register:

Note: your username is your assigned HSU Student ID number.

Once you have registered for classes, you will receive an email via your email (note to students: you must use your assigned email address to utilize the Secure Message Portal) notifying you of your successful secure message portal registration for the health center. Along with it will be a temporary password to access your secure messages. You may now sign on to the Health Center's "Secure Message Portal" using your Student ID number and the assigned password. You can change your assigned password at any time.

When you access the secure message site, there will be a required form for you to fill out called Immunizations. Please fill this out and click Submit. This alerts the Health Center that you are mailing or faxing a copy to the Health Center.

If you are having problems, please call 707-826-5036 or send an email to with your questions.

2. In addition to signing up on the Portal and filling out your immunization information, you must also mail or fax a copy of your immunization records to the Student Health Center for authentication.

Student Health Center
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521

(707) 826-5042

We strongly recommend that you comply with the requirements before coming to HSU. However, if you cannot locate immunization records, or cannot obtain the required immunizations before coming to HSU, the Health Center offers daily immunization clinics.

IMPORTANT: You will be allowed to register and attend your first semester; however, if these requirements are not satisfied before it is time for you to register for your second semester, a registration HOLD will be placed on your account and removed only after the records are received.

If you have questions, or want to make sure the Health Center has everything it needs from you, please contact us at (707) 826-5036.

For Additional Information

Health Center Immunization Form

Student Health Center Supports Vaccines

The Student Health Center Staff encourage you to consider this important article funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.