Humboldt State University

Students shopping at the weekly Farmer's Market

Housing & Residence Life

Off-Campus Housing

Off-Campus Housing: Resources

Local Amenities (pdf) PDF icon »

This list consists of local businesses such as shopping centers, banks, cell phone companies and other businesses.

Your rights as a renter

The California Supreme Court has ruled that you have the right to a habitable dwelling. This means your landlord has a legal obligation to repair items that affect the home's livability, including: Fixing broken stoves, pipes, unsafe stairwells and other hazards in a reasonable amount of time, which is usually defined as days.

You also have the right to privacy. Your landlord cannot enter the rental property without 24 hours notice or your consent.

Here are some links to more sites that cover renter's rights:

back to top ↩

Find a roommate

The Housing Office hosts a Roommate and Quick Listing Board, located on the 2nd floor of the Jolly Giant Commons. You can also go online to view roommates-wanted ads in Humboldt County, via craigslist.

back to top ↩

Public transportation


Beginning in the fall of 2007, Humboldt State students can use their Jack Pass to ride all Eureka Transit, Redwood Transit and Arcata & Mad River Transit Service (AMRTS) buses for free.

There are plenty of ways to get around town without a car of your own. Humboldt is filled with pristine biking trails, both for commuting and adventuring. We also have full-service bus lines, taxis and more.

back to top ↩

U-haul Locations

7081 Samoa
Arcata, CA 95521
(707) 822-8980
3197 Allance Rd
Arcata, CA 95521
(707) 825-7882
32220 Jacobs Ave
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 445-2058
2332 2nd Street
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 268-0863
1232 5th Street
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 445-3566
1968 Central Ave
McKinleyville, CA 95519
(707) 840-0481
2330 Central Ave #3
McKinleyville, CA 95519
(707) 840-0701

back to top ↩

Storage Facilities

Contains a contact list and map of storage facilities in the local community.

back to top ↩

Rental Insurance

Insurance is a good idea to protect your possessions against theft or loss related to a natural disaster. Your local bank may help with this; if not, there are sites below that can.

National Student Services Inc
Farmers Insurance
615 11 St
Arcata, CA 95521
(707) 822-2421
1989 Harrison Ave
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 444-3066

back to top ↩

If you have any questions about the content on this page or have any suggestions please email:

Humboldt State University does not inspect or endorse the listed properties or make any warranties regarding their condition, nor does HSU secure off-campus housing for students. Off Campus Housing accepts listings with the expectation and understanding that the landlord or agent is in compliance with the Fair Housing Act.