Position Description Information
A written summary of the most important features of a position including:
- the general nature of the work performed,
- the specific duties and responsibilities, and
- the qualifications needed to do the job.
Skip to Navigation
- To help employees understand their jobs.
- To clarify relationships between jobs, avoiding duplication and gaps in responsibilities and specific duties.
- To provide information for classifying positions.
- To assist in performance appraisal by providing a standard against which individual performance can be measured.
- To clarify lines of communication, authority and responsibility.
- To assist in organization planning.
- To introduce new employees to their jobs.
- To assist in hiring and placing employees in the job for which they are best suited.
- To establish lines of upward mobility.
- To identify training needs.