Center for International Programs

How to Apply

I am applying to be:

Deadlines and Dates

International English Language Institute (IELI) 

Session Dates Application Deadline
Fall 1 mid-August to mid-October June 30
Fall 2 mid-October to mid-December August 31
Spring 1 mid-January to mid-March November 30
Spring 2 mid-March to mid-May January 31
Summer mid-May to mid-July March 31
Intersession (4 weeks) mid-July to mid-August May 31

Undergraduate and HSU Study California 

Semester (term) Apply By
Fall (August - December) April 1
Spring (January - May) October 15



Semester (term) Apply By
Fall (August - December) February 1
Spring (January - May) Dates and deadlines vary. Click here for more information.


International English Language Institute (IELI)

IELI is a multi-level intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program designed for students planning to enter an American college or university and for professionals and visitors who need improvement in English.

Small classes and friendly, dedicated teachers provide an ideal environment in which to rapidly improve your English.

Arcata is a safe, friendly town where you can walk or bicycle anywhere. While offering the advantages and safety of a small city, we enjoy the cultural and recreational benefits of a major university.

Please visit our International English Language Institute website for more information. 

Undergraduate Information

Undergraduate students and transfer students are international students who want to come to Humboldt State University to complete a Bachelor’s degree.  Please explore the following links and email us if you have any questions.

Graduate Students

Graduate students are international students that want to come to Humboldt State University to work on an MA, MS, or MBA degree.  Please explore the following links, and email the Center for International Programs if you have any questions.

HSU Study California

Students interested in applying to the HSU Study California program are students who want to study at HSU for one or two semesters without going through the formal admissions process.  For more information, please follow this link: HSU Study California.


Exchange Students

International students currently studying at a college or university that has an approved bilateral exchange agreement with Humboldt State University (HSU) and who are interested in attending HSU can participate in the Bilateral Exchange Program (BEP). Students need approval from the home university prior to applying.

Student from partner institutions where HSU cannot accept exchange students at this time may study at Humboldt State University through the Semester at Humboldt Program (SHP) at the reduced rate of $4,500/semester. The application fee is also waived. Students need approval from the home university prior to applying.

If your university does not have an agreement with HSU, you can study with us for a semester (or year) through the HSU Study California Program.

Center for International Programs
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street.
Arcata, CA, 95521-8299 U.S.A.

Telephone: +1 (707) 826-4142
Fax: +1 (707) 826-3939