Conditional Admission - Humboldt State's International English Language Institute (IELI)
Students who meet the academic requirements for admission to HSU for undergraduate programs or MBA, but who are missing their English language proficiency requirement, may be eligible for conditional admission. These students are granted admission to HSU’s International English Language Institute (IELI) and issued a conditional admission letter to HSU for their desired program. Students will attend HSU’s International English Language Institute (IELI) until they meet the language requirement or obtain an acceptable English language proficiency score. A list of acceptable scores can be found here. Once the student has passed the IELI program, they can formally apply to the university for the next available session to begin regular university study in their program.
How to apply for Conditional Admission
Please send the following items and supporting documents by email to ieliadmissions [at] humboldt [dot] edu (subject: Inquiry)
- Completed IELI Application Form (Make sure to check the box on the application indicating your desire for conditional admission, Question 2).
- Completed Conditional Admission - Plan to Apply Form (For a list of majors and programs at HSU, click here).
- Pay the $55.00 IELI Application Fee. The application fee can be paid online here.
- Copies of all official academic transcripts from your high school and university.
- Completed Certification of Financial Support
- Photocopy of your passport.
- Student Consent for Release of Information if you are an agent submitting an application on behalf of the student.
- If you did not provide an IELTS, TOEFL, or other English proficiency test score on your IELI Application Form, please take the Cambridge Placement Test and include your score report in your application materials.
What to Do After Receiving Conditional Acceptance Offer
Once you have gained the required level of English proficiency for your program, you will need to do the following:
- Formally apply to the University for the next available term. Please visit our website to review the application process, timelines and deadlines.
To be considered for Fall admission, you must obtain the required level of English proficiency by April 15. Click here for more information on Dates and Deadlines for Fall.
To be considered for undergraduate Spring admission, you must obtain the required level of English proficiency by October 15. Click here for more information Dates and Deadlines for Spring.
Conditional Admission through a Partner School
Students who are attending one of HSU's partner schools (Aston, CWC, EC, EF, ELS, ESLI,Eurocenters, ILSC, Intrax, Kaplan, LSI, TLC, USC International Academy) should work with their advisor at the partner school to apply.
Students (or partners) will need to submit:
- Conditional Admission through a Partner School Form
- Transcripts (scanned copies are accepted)
When students are close to reaching their English Proficiency level, they will need to formally apply to HSU, observing application deadlines and timelines. Please visit our website on How to Apply for further steps.