Students who meet the academic requirements for admission to HSU for undergraduate programs or MBA, but who are missing their English language proficiency requirement, may be eligible for conditional admission. These students are granted admission to HSU’s International English Language Institute (IELI) and issued a conditional admission letter to HSU for their desired program. Students will attend HSU’s International English Language Institute (IELI) until they meet the language requirement or obtain an acceptable English language proficiency score. A list of acceptable scores can be found here. Once the student has passed the IELI program, they can formally apply to the university for the next available session to begin regular university study in their program.
How to apply for Conditional Admission
Please send the following items and supporting documents by email to ieliadmissions [at] humboldt [dot] edu (subject: Inquiry)
- Completed IELI Application Form (Make sure to check the box on the application indicating your desire for conditional admission, Question 2).
- Completed Conditional Admission - Plan to Apply Form (For a list of majors and programs at HSU, click here).
- Pay the $55.00 IELI Application Fee. The application fee can be paid online here.
- Copies of all official academic transcripts from your high school and university.
- Completed Certification of Financial Support (Undergraduate (pdf); PNG Version: Page 1, Page 2; Microsoft Word, or Graduate MBA (pdf); PNG Version: Page 1, Page 2; Microsoft Word) with supporting documents.
- Photocopy of your passport.
What to Do After Receiving Conditional Acceptance Offer
Once you have gained the required level of English proficiency for your program, you will need to do the following:
- Formally apply to the University for the next available term. Please visit our website to review the application process, timelines and deadlines.
To be considered for fall admission, you must obtain the required level of English proficiency by JUNE 1.
To be considered for undergraduate spring admission, you must obtain the required level of English proficiency by NOVEMBER 1.