Center for International Programs

Graduate Students

Graduate Student Admission Requirements

English Language Proficiency

There are many ways to meet the English proficiency requirement for graduate admission to Humboldt State University.  

Test Name Undergraduate Graduate
ACT 22 or above on English test section 22 or above English test section
Cambridge English Exams

CAE: C1 (180 or above)

CPE: C2 (200 or above)

CPE: C2 (200 or above)
CWC Completion of Level 6. Completion of Level 6.
DAAD DAAD Language Test certificate with a "C" in every section (level B2). DAAD Language Test certificate with a "C" in every section (level B2).
EC Completion of Pre-Advanced Completion of Pre-Advanced
EF Completion of Level C1. Completion of Level C1.
EIKEN Pre-1 1
ELS Successful completion of level 112 Successful completion of level 112
ESLI Completion of Pre-University Completion of Pre-University
Eurocenters Level 7 Level 8
IELTS 6.0 6.5
ILSC Completion of Intermediate 4 Completion of Advanced 1
iTEP 3.7 4.5
Kaplan Advanced level Advanced level
MELAB 76 78
LSI Upper Intermediate Upper Intermediate
PTE 48 53
SAT 500 on the Verbal/Critical Reading 500 on the Verbal/Critical Reading
Stafford House Level 9 (CEF - C1) Level 10 (CEF - C+)
TLC  Successful completion of Advanced Level 9 Successful completion of Advanced Level 9 and APL Modules A, B, and C
TOEFL 71 IBT, 525 PBT, 197 CBT 80 IBT, 550 PBT, 213 CBT
USC International Academy Successful completion of Level 6 Successful completion of Level 6

Scores must be received within two years of applying to HSU, and sent directly from the testing organization.

You do not need to send your TOEFL or IELTS score if: 

  • You have completed a general education English composition course at a California community college or university; OR
  • You have graduated from a four-year U.S. high school and have completed four years of English courses with a grade of “B” or higher.

If your native language is English and/or the majority of your education has been in English, or if the official language of your country is English, you may be exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirements. Please inquire at the time of application.

Students attending the International English Language Institute (IELI) located on the HSU campus will be admitted with certification from the IELI Supervising Teacher. This certification is accepted in lieu of of the TOEFL test.

Eligibility Requirements for International Students - Master's Degrees 

An international applicant may be admitted to a campus as an unclassified post-baccalaureate student if the applicant satisfies the requirements of each of the three following lettered subdivisions:

a. The applicant holds an acceptable bachelor's degree earned at an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association, or the applicant has completed equivalent academic preparation; and

b. The applicant has satisfied any one of the following:

1. GPA of at least 2.5 in an acceptable earned bachelor's degree,

2. GPA of at least 2.75 in the last 60 semester units (90 quarter units) attempted;

3. The applicant holds an acceptable post baccalaureate degree earned at an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association;

c. The applicant was in good standing at the last institution of higher education attended.

Master's applicants must satisfy admission requirements from both the major department and the Center for International Programs.

3-Year Bachelor's Degree Information

  • Accepted for some students
  • Must have a Bologna-compliant degree
  • Indian Schools: 3-year degree must be from a recognized and accredited institution with an NAAC grade of A and be accompanied by a PGD from an institution that is accredited or recognized by the NAAC and/or AICTE. Or, a 3-year bachelor’s degree and a 2-year Indian master’s degree (with at least 50% in marks obtained) from NAAC accredited institution.
  • If students have a WES (or approved foreign evaluation service evaluation) that indicates they have an equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree, HSU will honor the WES (or other) evaluation.


Pre-evaluations cannot be made. Students must formally apply before credentials will be evaluated.

 Graduate Student Deadlines and Dates

Click here to review program specific deadlines and dates.

Graduate programs have earlier application deadlines, and may require department specific applications or supporting materials.  Please contact the department you are interested in for more information.


Term you wish to begin Applications Open Apply By
Fall (August - December) October 1 February 1
Spring(January - May) August 1 Deadlines vary.  Not all programs accept applications.

After your file is pre-evaluated in the Center for International Programs, it is forwarded to the graduate department for the admission decision. Your application must be complete by the application deadline.

Graduate Student Application Process 

Graduate applicants are advised to contact their specific graduate departments (PDF*) directly for additional requirements, documents, minimum grade point averages, and application deadlines (for instance, applicants to some graduate programs must submit official GRE test results, and nearly all departments require a statement of objectives and three letters of recommendation).

Graduate applicants must satisfy admission requirements for both their academic department and international admissions.

STEP 1: Apply Online at CSU Mentor or print an International Undergraduate Application.

  • For step-by-step CSU Mentor instructions, click here.
  •  Application Fee of U.S. $55.00 (non-refundable) can be paid online when applying on CSU Mentor. If you submit a paper application, pay your application fee here.

STEP 2: Submit the Certification of Financial Support.

STEP 3: Submit Official Transcripts of Academic Records (translated to English)

STEP 4: Send Proof of English Proficiency

  • All test scores must be sent to us directly from the examination company.
  • Score reports that were issued to students will not be accepted.     
  • We accept many different tests. To see the list, view here

STEP 5: Send Photocopy of your passport

STEP 6: Submit International Student Transfer Form (only if transferring from a U.S. school)

STEP 7: Email or mail your application materials to:  

international [at] humboldt [dot] edu

International Student Admissions 
Center for International Programs 
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521-8299 USA

STEP 8: Check Your Email

  • We will email you after we review your application.
  • If you do not receive an email, make sure to check your Spam or Junk Folder. 


Graduate Student Costs

Please visit the Costs section of our Frequently Asked Questions page for a breakdown of tuition and fees. 

Graduate Housing and Dining

There are several housing options for international students. Residence halls are available on campus as well as apartments in close proximity to campus. To learn more about residence halls, please visit HSU's Housing and Dining Services website. For information about off campus housing, visit their website, here.

Dining Information

There are five main dining options on campus:


Center for International Programs
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street.
Arcata, CA, 95521-8299 U.S.A.

Telephone: +1 (707) 826-4142
Fax: +1 (707) 826-3939