HSU Study California
The HSU Study California program allows students to study at Humboldt State University (HSU) for one or two semesters without going through the formal admissions process. Courses taken through the HSU Study California program may appear on an official transcript and transferred to your home university for credit.
Each semester HSU offers courses in more than 100 different programs and options. Many of these courses have additional spaces available after HSU students have registered. The HSU Study California program allows international students to take advantage of these extra spaces.
All course instruction, requirements and faculty are available to full-time HSU degree seeking students are also available to HSU Study California students. HSU Study California students are able to use the Student Health Center, Student Recreation Center, receive a student ID card, use the local bus system and attend all HSU athletic events!
For a list of available courses, please see the HSU Class Schedule.
HSU Study California students may enroll in 12 undergraduate semester units (about four classes).
- HSU SC students enroll in courses on the first day of class.
- HSU SC students register by turning in a registration form (pre-registration online is not available). Classes are subject to availability.
- Students may be enrolled in the HSU SC program for a maximum of 2 semesters (1 year). Students must receive a minimum GPA of 2.0 during their first term to continue to the next session.
- GOOD ACADEMIC STANDING: Students who wish to apply to the HSU SC program must show good academic standing at their previous school, college or university.
- FLEXIBLE: HSU SC students must be flexible with their course choices as students will not know their final class schedule until the first week of class.
- ENGLISH SCORE: If your native language is English and/or the majority of your education has been in English, you may be exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirements. Please inquire at the time of application.
- Undergraduate Students: Please see requirements here.
STEP 1: Apply Online
Application Fee of U.S. $55.00 (non-refundable) can be paid online here.
- All test scores must be sent to us directly from the examination company.
- Score reports that were issued to students will not be accepted.
- We accept many different tests. Click here to view the list.
STEP 4: Submit Certification of Financial Support
STEP 5: Send Photocopy of your passport.
STEP 6: Submit Student Consent for Release of Information if you are an agent submitting an application on behalf of the student.
STEP 7: Email or mail application materials to:
international [at] humboldt [dot] edu or
Center for International Programs
International Student Admissions
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521-8299 USA
STEP 8: Check Your Email
- We will email you after we review your application.
- If you do not receive an email, make sure to check your Spam or Junk Folder.
Health insurance: students are required to have health insurance for the time they are enrolled at HSU. All international students are automatically enrolled in the CSU Healthlink program. Students will be insured from August 10th for the Fall semester and from January 10th for the Spring semester.
|Term you wish to begin||Applications Open||Apply By|
|Fall (August - December)||October 1||April 1|
|Spring(January - May)||August 1||October 15|
Schedule and Prices
New Student Orientation (Mandatory)
January 10 – January 13, 2017
August 15 – August 19, 2016
January 17 – May 12, 2017
August 22 – December 16, 2016
New Student Orientation (Mandatory)
Please see our Costs section for more information. Prices are subject to change.
** Price includes CSU Healthlink insurance for Spring and Summer. Please see the College of eLearning and Extended Education to enroll for Spring only.
The HSU Study California program is not for students who wish to apply to a HSU degree program in the future. Please visit www.humboldt.edu/international/apply for information on how to apply as a matriculated HSU student.