HSU Study California
The HSU Study California program allows students to study at Humboldt State University (HSU) for one or academic year (fall & spring). Courses taken through the HSU Study California program may appear on an official transcript and transferred to your home university for credit.
Each semester HSU offers courses in more than 100 different programs and options. Many of these courses have additional spaces available after HSU degree-seeking students have registered. The HSU Study California program allows international students to take advantage of these extra spaces.
HSU Study California students are able to use the Student Health Center, Student Recreation Center, receive a student ID card, use the local bus system and attend all HSU athletic events!
For a list of available courses, please see the HSU Class Schedule.
- HSU Study California students are capped at 12 undergraduate semester units (about four classes). Enrollment in more than 12 units may result in an increase to registration fees.
- HSU Study California students may be enrolled in their requested courses only after all HSU degree-seeking students have had a chance to register.
- HSU Study California students register by turning in their registration preferences after completing online pre-arrival orientation. Classes are subject to availability. Confirmation of your final class schedule will be sent after registration.
- Students may be enrolled in the HSU Study California program for a maximum of 2 semesters (academic year only). Students must receive a minimum GPA of 2.0 during their first term to continue to the next session.
- TOEFL of 61 or IELTS of 5.5
- GOOD ACADEMIC STANDING: Students who wish to apply to the HSU Study California program must show good academic standing at their previous school, college or university.
- FLEXIBLE: HSU Stody California students must be flexible with their course choices as students will not be able to secure their final schedule until all HSU degree-seeking students have registered.
- ENGLISH SCORE: If your native language is English and/or the majority of your education has been in English, you may be exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirements. Please inquire at the time of application.
- A comprehensive list of English language proficiency scores can be found here.
STEP 1: Apply Online
Application Fee of U.S. $55.00 (non-refundable) can be paid online here. Please email a copy of your application fee receipt to international [at] humboldt [dot] edu with your name and program (HSU Study California).
- Scanned copies are accepted.
- We accept many different tests. Click here to view the list.
STEP 3: Submit copies of your current academic transcripts.
- For first-time freshman, send copies of your high school/secondary education transcripts and diploma.
- For current university/college studetns, send copies of your university/college transcripts.
STEP 4: Submit Certification of Financial Support
STEP 5: Send Photocopy of your passport.
STEP 6: If you are working with an agent, complete the Student Consent for Release of Information.
STEP 7: Email or mail application materials to:
international [at] humboldt [dot] edu or
Center for International Programs
International Student Admissions
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521-8299 USA
STEP 8: Check Your Email
- We will email you after we review your application.
- If you do not receive an email, make sure to check your Spam or Junk Folder.
Health insurance: All international students are automatically enrolled in the CSU Healthlink program. Students will be insured from August 10th for the Fall semester and from January 10th for the Spring semester.
|Term you wish to begin||Applications Open||Apply By|
|Fall (August - December)||October 1||May 15|
|Spring(January - May)||August 1||October 15|
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Please see our Costs section for more information. Prices are subject to change. Tuition will be higher if students enroll in more than 12 units.