International English Language Institute (IELI)
The International English Language Institute (IELI) is an intensive language program that helps non-native English learners develop the language skills necessary to achieve their academic goals. IELI serves as a bridge to help each student make the transition from language learner to successful student at an American university.
IELI offers instruction in English for Academic Purposes (EAP) in all core skill areas: grammar, writing, reading, listening and speaking. In addition, students take courses focusing on particular skill areas as well as a variety of topics designed to help them become familiar with the higher education system and American culture.
The mission of the International English Language Institute (IELI) at Humboldt State University is to help English learners develop the language skills necessary to achieve their academic goals.
The supportive learning environment at the IELI specializes in preparing students for university study as well as in enhancing intercultural understanding on campus and in the community.
- A safe, beautiful location in a friendly university town where you can walk or bicycle easily to campus
- Homestays with American families
- Access to a wide range of cultural and recreational activities in the community
- Organized trips to local attractions and neighboring big cities, such as Portland and San Francisco
- Small classes with friendly, dedicated teachers
- A Bridge Program which allows eligible students to attend a class at the university
- Use of campus facilities, such as the library, health center, sports facilities, and computer labs
- Conditional admission to HSU
How to Find Us
The International English Language Institute is housed in the Center for International Programs, located in the Feuerwerker House (House 13), between Mill Street and LK Wood, near Library Circle.