International English Language Institute (IELI)
IELI Mission Statement
The mission of the International English Language Institute (IELI) at Humboldt State University is to help learners develop the language and cultural skills necessary to achieve their educational and professional goals. We achieve this goal by:
- Providing high quality instruction in English as a second language that focuses on communicative and experiential language learning opportunities.
- Providing a supportive learning environment to prepare students for the demands of university study and of their employers in their professional lives.
- Helping students develop the cultural knowledge and competence to fully participate in the campus community and beyond.
- Facilitating activities that promote cross-cultural exchanges with members of both the larger campus and the local community.
The IELI offers:
- A safe, beautiful location in a friendly university town where you can walk or bicycle easily to campus
- Conditional admission to HSU
- Small classes with friendly, dedicated teachers
- An advanced level that allows students to attend a class at the university
- Homestays with American families
- Organized sports activities and trips to to a wide range of cultural and recreational activities in the community
- Use of campus facilities, such as the library, health center, sports facilities, and computer labs
How to Find Us
The International English Language Institute is housed in the Center for International Programs, located in the Feuerwerker House (House 13), between Mill Street and LK Wood, near Library Circle.